Wine in Tesco, €8 is the new €6?

shesells

I know wine went up by €1 a bottle in the budget but I've noticed in the past month or so that wine specials that used to be €6 now start at €8. Anyone else see this?

It's the same for a whole range of foodstuffs in Tesco. Even their bargain offers have changed to 2 for €4 or 3 for €4 from 3 for €2 etc.

Not only Tesco, one bottle of wine in Dunnes went from €10.56 to €14.50. A box of WKD went from €12.99 to €16.00 and was told the increase was as a result of budget changes. In the past week appears to have gone back down again :confused:

Firelighters Tesco value used to €.94 cent now €1.45. Iv stopped buying firelighters altogether, purchased couple bags of kindlings from a local chap and they light with few sheets newspaper.

Heard the cheap rashers went up in price but back down again.

I know wine went up by €1 a bottle in the budget but I've noticed in the past month or so that wine specials that used to be €6 now start at €8. Anyone else see this?

This was highlighted in a few articles I saw before the excise increase was brougth in. Excise is part of the fixed costs, most businesses apply their margin on the fixed costs. So the importer charges the extra €1, plus their margin. The distributors/retailers then add their margin on top of this again.

Hello,

I note they have an offer on at the moment, giving a 25% discount on 6 bottles at present (I think there may only be a limited selection at certain prices to pick from, however):

Tesco Email said:
*25% discount off all wine and Champagne when you purchase 6 bottles is applied at point of delivery and not when items are placed in the basket. This deduction replaces the normal 5% off when you buy 6 bottles or more. Subject to availability, while stocks last. Valid on deliveries between 25/03/13 and 31/03/13.

Regards

Mr. Earl.

From past experience, bank holiday weekends are the time to stock up.
All main outlets seem to have specials, so look around.

Yes Tesco tend to do those 25% off 6 at big weekends. I've been buying wine at those deals for years and usually managed to find a decent pinot grigio at half price for €6 and then stock up. Same wine hasn't been less than €8 all year.

Back