Windows

B

Brenner

Hey..

Just joined this site in the hope I may get some info. I am currently searching to buy my first home and I have found a house I really like. However the house has single glazed upvc windows. Personally I didnt have the slightese clue what that meant and didnt realy pay much attention. A friend of mine told me that single glazed windows are useless, they let out all the heat. He stated that if I bought the house I would have to upgrade to double glazed windows. However he knows almost as little about these things as I do.

I would be really grateful for any advice...particularly is what my friend said true? And is it a big deal and a lot of expense to get the windows changed?

Thanks

Brenner

Hi Brenner, welcome to AAM. There are quite a few previous threads on windows, and these include discussions on the merits of the various window types on the market at the moment along with pricing details. Try the search facility, it should point these thread out.
Leo

Brenner, am in the process of getting windows installed. I trawled thru threads on here and picked 5 companies that had been recommended, 2 companies stood out in both price and quality of window, templeogue & Regency.
so if you're Dublin based i'd recommend either of these,

Hi Brenner,
I'm not totally sure if this is possible to do but is it possible to put double glazed units into your windows as they stand.
It would save you taking out the frames.
Quite possibly 20% of the cost of complete replacement.
This not my area of expertise others on this forum could tell you if this is possible to do.

As S.F.L. said, if it is possible to have the glazing changed to double glazing, invest in A rated units, get a few glaziers to have a look and get a few quotes.

Yes most of the heat goes out through the glass, with an a rated unit you could use your windows for solar gain not loss.

'NGH' is quite correct in his thinking about getting the best possible glass.

If this is an old house most of the heat would be going through the walls and ceilings not the windows provided they have been draught-proofed.

If you plan to do this yourself go to Glass2Glass out in Ballymount they do a good deal.