Windows XP - missing disk

Saudi

Hi

I'm having problems with my pc, XP won't boot up (posting this in work) and the IT guys in work say there is something wrong with the video card, apparently this is a common windows problem, and they need my emergency boot disk for XP.

Problem is I don't think I ever got the disk when I bought the computer, Phillips Freeline from PC World, does this sound strange or has anoyone else had the same problem before?? Will PC World just give me a new XP disk? Have tried phoning them but can't get through. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

They have XP disks but they are for Dell computers, my home pc is a Phillips (why oh why did I buy a phillips!) and there disks won't work on it.

It is unusual to get a pc without a XP disk?

Some PCs/laptops (e.g. Sonys and Dells) come with a recovery partition on the hard disk from which you can create recovery installation media (CD-Rs). In such a situation the machine usually has some sort of utility for managing this process. Perhaps that's the case here?

Cheers Clubman, I think I may have done that when I first set the pc up, guaranteed not to have labelled the disk though!

But if you didn't reformat/repartition the original hard drive then the recovery partition (if any) should still be there and you should be able to create a new copy of the recovery/installation CD-Rs. Is there any utility installed that looks like a recovery media creation tool?

When you say it "won't boot up" what exactly is happening? Have you tried booting into safe mode and then trying to fix the problem from there?

Hi

Won't even boot up in safe mode, according to my friend in work Windows isn't recognising the video card and keeps trying to re-boot.

I have a Norton ghost and recovery programme but neither is working.

You can buy a Windows XP media cd in PC world for around 350.You may be charged more for Professional, if you purchased the PC recently in PC world, check the paper work / order to see if it's listed, they may have even charged you for it so pop in with your receipt and tell them you were left short the media software, this is certainly one of the items I would always make sure i recieved when investing in hardware, Dell media won't work on any other hardware other than Dell...there is a code written in to the bios so if you try useing Dell Media (XP reinstallation media) it will recognise that it ain't Dell hardware and stop.If there is a hardware fault with the video card check to see if you have onboard video if so remove the video card and test to see if it boots up, also what error messages are you getting on or after POST ?

Have a look at
http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={f0322167-293f-4ea2-bcd4-69df3ea7e078}&CatID={16fe05e0-4016-4fc1-9368-52138b8c438d}

it suggests for one philips freeline model to tap F10 repeatedly at boot and it should eventually boot into a menu to allow you to restore windows. Once it boots then you can create your own recovery CD - they show the steps- which may be why one wasn't supplied with your PC.

Failing that if IT are convinced it's the video driver I'd try getting as old and basic as possible video card from work - and swapping that with your own card - it might boot using that card and allow you to download new drivers from the internet and eventually swap back to your own.

Thanks for all the responses, particularly yours ashambles, turns out you don't get the XP disk with the Phillips Freeline and they are looking for £30 for a recovery disk!

Will try out the F10 trick.

Cheers

Back