Windows XP Free Download (by any chance)?

shootingstar

While i'm by no means clever when it comes to techi stuff & free downloads, I have taken the time to browse the key posts in this forum & couldn't find what I was looking for.

I dont know if its possible to download windows xp for free? I have MacBook & i need to change to Windows. Was told SAGE Accounts doesn't run on MAC (wish I was told this at time of purchase).

Can anyone give me some advise please? If its not possible to download, how much would one pay for Windows XP?

Thanks

SS

Thanks Smashbox.. pity about that. seems ya can download anything for free but windows *tut*... I appreciate your reply though... its answered my Q.

SS

A pity you can't get plumbers, electricians or accountants to work for free.

I think it would put the Microsoft Corp out of business... I'd like a lot of things free!

Even if you buy Windows it may not install on a Macbook (I believe its possible on newer Intel based ones) but even if its possible its not very straightforward to install especially for a novice (I presume if you don't know Windows is not available for free you are not an advanced user).

The best bet if it's only for an accounts package it to use VMware Fusion (and a copy of Windows of course) with allows you to start Windows within OSX. It means you don't have long reboots just to open your accounts package.

Another option might be to look a Crossover, an application that allows you to open SOME Windows applications within OSX - have a look and see if it's compatible.

Also to save a bit of cash on buying Windows, have a look at the packages minimum operating system requirements (Win 2k, XP etc) and buy the cheapest one you can get on Ebay.

It took me a good three days to get win XP working with bootcamp. Stuff I learnt (that might be useful)
- Upgrade to latest version of bootcamp.
- Try to install a version of XP that already has all the service packs applied. You can do this using nlite. In other words, don't try to install XP, and then apply the service packs afterwards.

Even if you buy Windows it may not install on a Macbook (I believe its possible on newer Intel based ones) ...
All MacBooks and MacBook Pros use Intel processors. Older PowerBooks and iBooks didn't.

The requirement is that the MacBook can install and run BootCamp or some other emulatiuon or interface software (e.g VMware Fusion, Crossover, etc.).

im really grateful for all the replies (some advise is completely foreign to me and in a language Ive never heard of)

Thanks all, think I better not ask for "tech" advise in here anymore because I clearly dont understand the answers. Will sort something with a company i know here in Cork.

Thanks all.....

SS x