Windows search acting weird

car

Ive always placed faith in it but discovered weird behaviour today. Have a folder with a lots of files *.sql and *.log. If I search for a term using windows search utility, with no advanced options, it finds the text in the .log but not the .sql.

If I change the filename from .sql to .log it will find it. I changed the file association properties of a .sql file to mirror the properties of the .log, still no joy.
The folder is set to index.

more: Create a new folder, copy the 2 files into the folder, it doesnt find the text in the .sql

more: add *.sql to files to search, still no joy.

A colleague has tried on his machine and same behaviour.

The build is win xp pro. Anyone any ideas?

Windows search is rubbish in my opinion. I have never been able to get it to do anything useful. Unless you're talking about the Vista version which allegedly does work? For searcing the content of files (and emails etc.) I would recommend Copernic Desktop Search. It's a lot more reliable than the Windows search.

by any chance did you compare copernic to google desktop from a resource usage angle? I found google desktop to have a big hit on the cpu on my (decent spec) laptop at times. I eventually had to stop the crawler.

Back