Windows NT

annamac1

What is windows NT? I get a message that I need Windows NT, I am downloading Voipstunt (as listed on the 100 download sites) on my old windows 98 - is this possible?
Thanks in advance

Not a computer expert, but i think NT is for PC's that run over e network?

You need either WinXP, Win2000 or WinNT.
Win98, win95 and WinME are all old hat.

Yes, I think you are right about 98 being old hat....
what can I expect to pay to upgrade to Windows XP?
AND has anyone tried to use the telephony I was trying to install?
Thanks
Annamac

If you're on Win 98 chances are that your PC is likely not to support Win XP.

I'd consider a new PC.

Some good deals around these days e.g. Dell

You'll get a new box and it comes with XP.

Windows NT is an operating systems (O/S) like windows 98. When programs are written they are meant for certain O/S's. Normally new programs will require newer O/S's to run them. Normally Windows NT was for business use then they brought out windows 2000 for business and home use. Buy and sell have some cheap PC's with XP installed if you don't want to buy a brand new one from Dell etc..I have a Windows 2000 PC for sale at the moment if your interested you can send me a private emssage.

When applications say that NT is required it normally means NT or any later Windows OS release in the 32 bit line (as opposed to Windows 3.x/Windows For Workgroups/W9x/Me etc. which were still 16 bit in large parts). I would be very surprised to find a recent application release that only worked on Windows NT or Windows 2000 and not XP. I very much doubt that you need to explicitly get NT/2000 whatever about upgrading from 9x to XP or whatever.

I was looking into subscribing to ntl broadband and was told by them that NT wasn't supported by them..

I was looking into subscribing to ntl broadband and was told by them that NT wasn't supported by them..
Not true. In the days when everyone was on analog, when the likes of eircom sent you out a installation cd, they might say they dont support NT (which they didnt) and this would mean that the cd wouldnt install on NT, (which it didnt). However, BB suppliers just provide you with a line into the house, no install cd required.
NTl will say they dont support (thick or thin) networks, but they cant do anything about it if you set one up.

muesli said:
It may not be supported by them but it doesn't necessarily mean that the software won't work on that platform. Software vendors/providers often take arbitrary decisions about what operating system versions they will support their wares on even if they will work on others.

I had NTL broadband on a Windows 98 PC last year so can't see why they would be saying that. The only thing that needed to be installed was the modem driver.

The reason providers say this is to simplify tech support for themselves. Far easier for a rep talk you through a setup if they can go through it on their own screens with you. If they support multiple OSs, they're going to have to maintain PCs with all these OSs in-house.

Leo said:
If they support multiple OSs, they're going to have to maintain PCs with all these OSs in-house.
They could use something like - very handy testing and tech support tool.

The main reason why NT would not be supported is because it would not be feasibile for most companies..expecially NTL to support every type of OS out there, Windows NT is a more secure( well it was at the time (95/96) robust type of operating sytem and was designed with Business and not home enviorments in mind, it has a different type of file system and does not have plug n play support, Windows 2000 was the version released in 99/00 which had a host of other features, coupled with the fact there were so many service packs needed to fix bugs, even Windows 98/ME are no longer supported by Microsoft.I think you can get XP Home for around 350.000 from PC world

€300 from [broken link removed]. €144 if [broken link removed] from an earlier version of Windows.

The incompatibility with Windows NT might be down to some people using the USB interface on the NTL modem. Of course, you can use the ethernet interface but NT isn't the most user friendly OS when it comes to networking.

Windows NT is no longer supported by Microsoft (since the end of 2004 I believe)...so that is why it cannot be supported by anyone else.
Indeed, if the manufacturer no longer supports it, why should anyone else?

Back