Windows Installer & Norton Antivirus

Sadmak

I have numerous worms and viruses on my PC. When i try and install Norton it fails. I get a message saying window's installer is not present and is needed to install Norton.

I have since installed Norton and it still gives me the same message ie that windows installer is required.

Help

THanks Fingalian

I have run stinger but still no joy

The message when i try to install norton says that i am either running in safemode (I am not) or Windows installer is not installed (which it is)

Any other ideas appreciated

Try Spybot, download it here, run it. Also go to www.Lavasoft.com to downloaded Adaware, this should clean up the PC sufficiently to allow installation of Norton.

I use AVG (from download.com , which is free) as my anti-virus program

I use Avast! Anti-Virus which is free for home use.

I used Norton Anti-Virus in the past but have switched away from it the following reasons:

1. It is resource hungry i.e. slows down your computer
  2. It can be difficult to install
  3. It is even more difficult to fully uninstall - you often need to download a clearn from the Norton site!
  4. It is expensive
  5. You seem to have to buy a new version every year, for little extra features, as far as I can see. I know there is an upgrade price (for around 2/3 of the price), but this is still a lot of money.
  6. If you buy a specific version e.g. NAV 2005, it expires after a year. You don't even get virus definition updates (after the year is past) until you pay more money. I think that for example, you should still be entitled to free virus database updates, as you did pay good money for the product. You should only need to upgrade if compelling new features are included in the new version.
I have had no issues with Avast!.

And did I mention that it was free?

BTW I had similar issues with Norton Utilities - they slow down the computer too much to be useful.

I think you will have to be thorough in uninstalling the original program if decide to ditch it as I tried Avast and it detects other AV programs and warns of a possible conflict.

There is loads of info on possible conflicts (not just with Avast mind you)