Windows for a New Build

S

SashaF

Hi,

We are building a house in Cavan and I am currently researching our options for windows. Needless to say I am confused and have a lot of questions!! I would greatly appreciate any comments from anyone who knows anything about timber windows!!!

1. Should we be using a hardwood or a softwood for the exterior?? I have read that softwood if treated and painted properly will last as long as a hardwood?

2. I have read that teak/ iroko is the best timber for windows but this was contradicted by one joiner I have met who said that because iroko is oil based the wood will warp and cause all sorts of problems. Any comments??

3. Is the heartwood of pine a good timber to use?

4. Which of the following is the best timber to use, pine, yellow pine, spruce, douglas fir, meranti, sapellia, oak, maple??

5. I've read that various timbers are "graded" for exterior use in windows. Who grades the timber and where can I access more information?

6. Do window companies in Ireland have to be licensed?? For example, I have been told that Anderson windows are licensed with the BBA (British Builders Association).

7. Are sliding sash windows very energy inefficient??

8. Is triple glazing worth it??

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Sasha

First things first before you spend a lot of time looking into windows and timber windows you've got to set your budget. If your not sure send your windows plans off to any joinery shop (or window manufacturer) looking for a quote on any sort of timber window with standard double glazing.

As soon as you see the cost of timber windows you'll know why the country is full of white upvc and timber effect upvc windows.

sorry, but I don't know how to attach a link. Log onto www.brooksgroup.ie and go to brochures, there you will see 'hardwoods and softwoods' and that will inform you about the durability of the different types of woods.

Look through pilkington glass website to inform yourself about double glazing. There are 'A' rated units available (optiwhite/warmedge spacer/optishield - argon filled) which are equivalent to triple glazing if not better.

Look up about argon filled units - seemingly tests were done out on the continent where they have a totally different atmosphere to here in Ireland and the argon filled units may cover over with condensation on the outside in the evening if there is any dampness in the area i.e. lake, pond, sea etc It also may block broadband and mobile signal's.

Alot of research needs to be done.

Thanks for the replies Davidoco and NHG.

Davidoco, I've received back 2 quotes to date so we have an idea how much timber windows are going to cost, its not cheap but I think it'll be worth it in terms of the style of the house, energy effectiveness and of course from an environmental perspective aswell.

Thanks for the information NHG, I'm going to start wading through it all now!!

hello,i have austrian windows in my new house,aluminium ,painted on the outside,wood inside.called wina hracho. very pleased with them.

my last house had Rationall,good too but some maintenance.

carlson timber systems .i really wouldnt touch them.had a bad experience with their windows and abysmal after care service.

good luck.

in co. cavan there,s a window co. called continental windows supposed to be good german windows,i've no connection but have seen the windows fitted look very nice and appear to be very security minded in their manufacturing

Hi,

Timber windows are expensive but if it is energy efficiency you are interested in you should consider alu clad windows. There is little in the difference in price but you will get a much better u-value. My sister had these installed and they look great.

re carlson windows, had windows put in ,about 6 months later ,black fungus appeared in the timber of some of the windows. waited and waited for them to do something about it.,fobbed off and watched them deteriorate.eventually they replaced the beading.
It is not a satisfactory outcome ,even had to beg for a litre of varnish.

dealing with sales and then after care was like dealing with 2 different companies.

however my neighbour has similar windows older and no trouble thats why i got them.so perhaps i was unlucky.

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies. We are considering all of the options at the minute including aluclad.

Re Continental Windows, I have heard of them and apparently their after care service is less than positive if sometimes goes wrong.

S

We have had Rational windows now for 2 years and they have got a battering as we live on the Atlantic coast. They need maintenance every year and have had some problems with seals. Customer service is ok, but you need to put serious pressure on them to do anything about problems. Not as good as I expected, I would go for Alu. clad if we were doing it again.

We have just installed Alu Wood windows on a house in Cork, from a company called Harmon Vinduer, based in Dublin, but will install throughout the country. Link to website [broken link removed]

We got 9 windows,(including a box window) Front Door, Back Door and Sliding Patio Doors for €18.5K. I had read all the threads on here and got quotes from various companies before deciding. Harmon Vinduer were a pleasure to deal with and the windows look lovely. Black (actually Brown-Black) on the outside, pine on the inside. Windows come from Denmark.

I have no association with Harmon Vinduer, except as a customer.

We used a company called Woodlock through a local window supplier . (We are only five minutes from the local guy so it means we have instant aftersales service) Delighted with the windows and doors and they arrived bang on time.

Timber sliding sash will always be a bit more draughty because of the sliding mechanism but I reckon this will be down the line as the surfaces wear, at the moment they are very new and pretty much airtight.
Pricewise Hayburn were twice the price ...but looked to have excellent workmanship, I checked out Compass but heard the aftersales was hit and miss and I heard Munster Joinery have also started doing timber sash so they would be worth a shout.

One big big big big big word of warning , make sure you leave enough space for the casement of the window with your blockwork, tell your architect if you are using timber sash , as the inner leaf of your block work will need to accomodate the windowwidth...... maybe even get a window supplier to look at your plans before you start the blockwork, it saved us a fortune in remedial work as the timber windows are exactly opposite to pvc.

i am currently researching windows for my new home,going for alu clad-mainteance free and wood inside,my quote was 54,000 for a3800sq foot house,be very careful what you are told , as after all its very competitive ,check where the wood comes from,the strength ,moisture content,the fittings etc,my quote was over budget according to my builders costs analysis ,but i took away painting costs ,cut down the spec on the flooring etc and other jobs i could do with my familys help,in my position this worked for me,hope its some help to you.