Windows 98 Bootup problem

A

avantarklu

Help!! My home PC won't boot up. When I switch it on it goes through the usual processes (virus scans etc.), flashes up the windows 98 screen and then I get a black screen with the following message
- while initializing device configmg

and a flashing cursor underneath.

I have searched the web for the solution and suggestions ranged from a broken cpu fan to having to format the c drive and reinstall everything.

Has anyone come across this error before and how was it resolved. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I get a black screen with the following message
- while initializing device configmg

Is that actually the full text of the message?

What changed recently on your PC that might have caused this - e.g. did you install any new hardware, software, configuration changes etc.?

Or if you haven't installed anything lately maybe something has failed, try disconnecting items in the computer e.g. cd drive , floppy, any modem cards and even go onto removing some of the memory sticks. Basically if you can leave only the motherboard , harddrive and some memory it might boot up. Then replace the items one by one to see what has failed. Also chekc the keyboard and mouse connections to see if there are any problems there.

Clubman - Yes, that is the full error message. Nothing changed, no software or hardware was added. It was working fine one day and then I got this the next.

beldin - How do I go about disconnecting these items. Keyboard and mouse are working fine.

Thanks Clubman but I've already been there. Was hoping someone could provide a simplified version.