Windows 2000 / XP Software mess

Newby

A mate of mine bought a laptop a few months ago off Buy and Sell which came with Windows 2000 on it. A month or so ago he decided taht he wanted Windows XP on it and bought an upgrade package. He installed it and that was that.

A couple of quirks were happening to the laptop - Windows help wasn't letting him in, Windows media player wasn't working so he called me over. From my uneducated eyes the laptop seems to indicate that the software on his machine was not legal. He showed me the receipt the CD and the licence number for his upgrade and it was indeed bought legally which seems to me that it must have been the original windows 2000 that was illegal.

Has anyone any idea on how to go about undoing this mess?? If you go to a Dell / PC world or any of those will they give him grief for the original software.

Re: Windows 200 / XP Software mess

have you tried microsofts validate? once thats alright, the upgrade should be ok. (I would have thought) if its not, then hmmmmm

That looks like it might be the answer alright. Will see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is not recommended that you 'upgrade' from one version of Windows to another, as you will get problems with Driver and DLL versions. He would be better to reformat the HD and install XP from scratch. After or course backing up all important documents and downlaoding all required drivers first.!

Towger

It is not recommended that you 'upgrade' from one version of Windows to another, as you will get problems with Driver and DLL versions. He would be better to reformat the HD and install XP from scratch. After or course backing up all important documents and downlaoding all required drivers first.!

Towger

Even though the Windows XP CD bought was an upgrade CD?? Is it possible to use the upgrade CD where there is no previous operating system on the laptop or will he have to stump up for a new installation CD?

I'm tempted to tell him to just hand it over to PC World or someone to ge the thing working and legal. He's out of his depth (as am I) and whilst backing up important documents wouldn't be a problem, knowing what drivers would be required would be a problem.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing the same on an IBM laptop which is running win 2000.What drivers do I need to install??? I'm afraid to do it now:confused:

Re: Windows 200 / XP Software mess

have you tried microsofts validate? once thats alright, the upgrade should be ok. (I would have thought) if its not, then hmmmmm

Thanks Car, This worked on the laptop and after downloading the new version of Windows Media Player there are no problems on his machine. Many thanks.

Back