window repair

• Thread starter upfront_1979
  • Start date
U

upfront_1979

Hi everyone, I have a small bathroom window which I need to figure out how to repair. Its A PVC one which opens out. the hinges slide up and down either side in runners. It looks like one of the hinged parts is seized and when I tried to close the window because the hinge would not bend the part which sets in the track at the side was bent out of shape. To fix it I guess I just need a new sliding hinge mechanism for one side, the other looks fine, but I have no idea where I could get this? I rang a few window companies and they were all talking about a complete replacement of the frame and window for between 5-600 euros!
Any ideas? is it something B&Q or atlantic might sell? I am based in limerick city by the way.

thanks in advance

Take off the seized hinge, close and lock the sash. take the seized hinge to any pvc window manufacture and get a replacement. Or if you cant get a replacement hinge exactly the same, buy 2 new ones of a different type.
Cost wise probably less than 40E for a pair. Screw on neew hinges with self tappers to penetrate any window reinforcing in the section.

sabre.

They are called espag hinges, and yes the poster above is right, make sure to replace the pair is case the opening action is slightly different.

thanks sabre, will take the hinge unit off this evening and call down to a few windows places tomorrow.
NHG, just looked up espag hinges on the web and that is exactly the type of hinge. thanks as it was pretty difficult for me to explain over the phone.