Window Pricing New Build

Jolly Man

I intend on putting together a window schedule from my house plans to send out to some of the many company's supplying them around ireland, i only want to get general prices at the moment and we do not know what type of window we even would like yet. Coloured PVC, Timber or Aluclad. Apart from the types what would be the other items to specify on a letter to the manufacturers for pricing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've just been through the lengthy process you are beginning. Glazing type, amount of openings and type of opes will all affect price. Try and be as specific as possible as it's difficult getting like for like price otherwise. Might be advisable to visit number of showrooms and decide on what you like...then go get prices.

We received quotes from a number of companies and here's short rundown of what we got

Firstly quote was for timber, sliding sash, painted, low e argon filled. Supply and fit. 30 windows and 3 French doors. 27 of the windows med-small and 3 large windows.

1. Marvin Arch. 36k. Excellent service and follow up. Great design ideas if unsure of what you want. Beautiful product. Only exterior painted.

2. Roco. 35k. Very good quality window but too modern for our tastes.

3. Swedex. 33k. Pre-wallop price. Service was atrocious and it took at least 3 goes before finally we got price.

4. Bereco. 28k. Very attractive sliding sash window. Very good service and rep travelled from Athlone with sample to us in SE. Great guarantees.

5. Bonham Joinery. 25k. Price for uPVC. Hubbie insisted we get this price just to see, but our heart is set on timber.

So as you can imagine we chose Bereco. Do a list of what your main criteria are for your windows. And make sure you ask about guarantees. Also try to see the windows in new build as you get to see how good installation is. We were lucky enough to see windows in new build and speak with owners...theirs was a positive response. Only negative 8-10 week wait but we had known this so hopefully it'll be closer to 8 weeks.

1.make sure you state if its a supply & fit price or supply only that you want.
2.sizes (height & width).
3.single, double, triple glazed?
4.any special glass? - stained glass, frosted (bathrooms), etc.
5.ironmongery, fittings, fixtures if you want somehting better than the standard.
6.show on the drawings the direction of opening.

good luck!

Have you spoken to Munster Joinery? I got new windows from them recently. Found them very helpful and very efficient. When I ordered the windows they said they would be delivered in about 2 weeks - in fact they arrived about 10 days later. I can PM you the name of the rep I spoke to if you're interested.

Thanks guys that's a great help, plenty of info there. Will be speaking to munster Joinery soon am inclined to go for the timber windows myself and they have a new nordic pine range out. I think my price will be a bit more expensive however as i have one complete structural glass gable wall!!!!

I am presuming that you are at the very early stages of your build, and this gives you great flexibility as you can change some of the window dimensions if you have to. For example, Marvin are lovely and are affordable as long as you choose one of their standard sizes ( however, they have a huge amount of standard sizes ),once you deviate from these, the price could double. I used Vrogum, very happy with them. Double Hung Sliding Sash, timber, painted, 23 windows, 2 patio doors, 1 'Stable Door" 2 garage doors, 2 External solid doors, 1 Glazed external door - 41k inc vat, fitted.

All I will say about Munster is that if you are intending to stay in the house for a while then purchase a better brand of window, the quality of the locking systems, handles and hinges are what could be classified as "builders qualitity", mass produced and used country wide by builders.

I have been in two houses where they put them in and after comparing them to a Dalgan or Mahon window there is no comparision, pay the extra 2k and get a good quality window.
Just my 2 cents worth, but compare Munster windows with a not so mass produced option and you will see what I mean. The "clunk" feeling is not there when you close a Munster window.

Yop are you referring to a better brand of window within munster joinerys remit? Better quality ironmongery from them?
Thanks bluebell for the tip about Marvin just pouring foundations this week so will give me plenty scope.

Jolly Man, from what I am aware they don't do a higher brand window. They are cheaper than most around but then you lose out on quality.

It is down to personal choice and budget at the end of the day. It probably sounds like I have an agenda against them!!!

No agenda!!! i have heard from several people lately that their quality has gone down hill due to the increased demand for their product. But i will still view them and make up my mind but as you say it is more of a battle with the purse strings than with personal choice!

if it's sliding sash your after without the painting try mcmullan o donnell in benburb tyrone,they do a lovely cream woodgrain finish in upvc and are renound in the northen end of the country for quality and excellent after sales.an average size upvc sliding sash when i piriced a couple of months ago cost around stg.£450-480 as far as i can remember.but a nice solid window,i've no connection

Hi Jollyman,

Only new to askaboutmoney... and just about finishing a renovation and extension when I saw your message regarding windows today. We used Bereco and have had awful problems - late with delivery, poor sealing quality!