Window keys

Delboy

I'm down to 1 remaining key to open the windows in my house- don't know where the rest are. I went to a key cutter today to get copies made and he said he could'nt do it.
Anyone know if it's possible to get copies made of window keys....or are they so standard in nature that a new,universal set can be bought that will work (the windows are your common 'garden variety' double glazing).

thanks

Our older windows had an allen(?sp) key and the more recent ones an ordinary key. Perhaps a call to Senator or the likes might help.

If you contact the company where your windows were purchased, they should be able to help or even tell you the make of the handle. Each handle manufacturer would have their own key which would be alike to all their particular handles.

Hi Delboy

I've exactly the same problem, except that all my keys are now broken so I can't open any locked windows.
After the usual run around with locksmiths who can't help, I may have found the solution at S&D Security Devices in Merrion Street, Dublin. Tel 661 1489
They've located my key type in a catalogue from England. There's no guarantees it's still in stock so fingers crossed while I'm waiting for a reply.
Failing that, they said they could make up a new key if I unscrew the window lock and bring it in to them. Cost at least €40.
I tried contacting the company that installed the windows (for previous owners of the house) and they didn't want to know.

Hi Moneybags,

Would'nt it be cheaper to buy new handles. You would need to see how many l/h and how r/h you would need if you want cranked handles or you could just opt for straight ones. Important thing is spindle size (thickness & length) - so make sure to screw off one old one and bring it with you to shop. (presuming they are for expag locks)