Willie O Dea's representations for prisoners

S

Simeon

I was shocked to see the list of perpetrator's crimes for which O Dea made representations. Any possibility that he is afraid to refuse?

In most of yesterday's papers. Indo, Herald, Examiner etc.

I was shocked to see the list of perpetrator's crimes for which O Dea made representations. Any possibility that he is afraid to refuse?

Willie O'Dea afraid?? I doubt it. You would think he would be glad to have some of these scum lock up rather then trying to get them back out on the street.

In most of yesterday's papers. Indo, Herald, Examiner etc

Oh right, and if I didn't happen to get any newspapers yesterday ?

GOOGLE dear Havealaugh, dear Havealaugh, dear Havealaugh,
Try GOOGLE dear Havealaugh, dear Havealaugh, try GOOGLE

I don't Google I Yahoo !

If I was to Google or Yahoo I would never need AAM now would I !?

Would you not just give us all a link to the story?

Here you are Havealaugh Now sit back (and don't foget, let other people do the search for you).

Here you are Havealaugh Now sit back (and don't foget, let other people do the search for you).

Seems like I'm not the only one who broke the law and didn't get the newspapers yesterday !

Do you not have a link to this, we've not all seen it

OP - In response to your question (now that you so kindly supplied the article for me to read !) I think that all representations of this kind should be outlawed. It is not proper office to do such things IMO. Infact it's wholly inappropriate and an abuse of stature I think.

Yes, politicians have enough of an input in the lives of ordinary folk without messing around with 'due process'.

To be fair to him he does state that he would prefer if it were not allowed so he would not have to deal with it. Due process wasn't affected in many cases as he was looking to get a prisoner moved to another prison to make it easier for the families to visit.

Prisoners are people too. No matter how evil the deed. If he's allowed make representative for them and he's been begged to what's he supposed to do. The relatives are not the criminals. He said it himself, he wishes he wasn't allowed to do so. Politicians run clinics for people to ask for their medical card/dole/hospital bed/pension, until that system is changed this will continue.

If he's allowed make representative for them and he's been begged to what's he supposed to do. The relatives are not the criminals. He said it himself, he wishes he wasn't allowed to do so.

There are no rules regarding what a TD/Senator can make representations about. Willie O'Dea is well capable of saying no to a constituent if he wants too, he does not wish to do so for political reasons. For him to say that "he wishes he wasn't allowed to do so" is saying that I will continue to do until all politicians aren't allowed to do so. at that point he can refuse and not lose any political support.

Bronte, yes you are right but you are being a bit too generous to the Bould
Willie.

Once you understand the following you'll know why W. 0'Dea is incapable of refusing anyone a representation. His vote is one of the largest personal votes in the entire country, yet his vote is a very personal one that doesn't translate easily into transfers for his running mate, Peter Power.

Both are solicitors but Willie's vote is a huge working class vote and as I said very personal. That is the way Willie wants it. This is a man who lest he lose a vote, goes to four Masses on Sundays, walks the lenght of Limk every day when he's is there, which is almost every day , though the Dept. of Defence doesn't have it's HQ in Limk( enough said ), so poor Willie is under no illusions whom he is making representations for when some of those sc.........s families come into him. If it worried him, surely he as a lawmaker is better placed than most of us to change the system.

You get the politicians you elect and clientelism is alive and well in Ireland and as long as the Irish continue with it , we are stuck with the worst of it's excesses.

In todays Herald he is quoted as saying (at the opening of a book of condolences) "there is an increased level of fear" among the public. Is this the same guy that, a couple of years ago, said the problems experienced in Limerick were exaggerated by the media?