Will you take your holiday if the flights are not cancelled?

Am hoping my flights to south of France will be cancelled.
Even if the risk of picking up the virus is low, I don't think it will be a relaxing holiday.
We're not beach people, like to travel around, see the sights, eat out.
Don't fancy navigating social distancing on public transport, in restaurants and bars etc
The fun will be taken out of the holiday to a large extent (apart from the sunshine and the views).

And then the possibility of having to quarantine for 2 weeks on return.

If can get a week of good weather here, self catering, think that will be a lot more relaxed.

We have cancelled our accommodation - full refund of the deposit. So now we're just waiting on the flights (Aer Lingus) to be cancelled. If they are not we'll see what our options are then (see if our insurance covers us) but as it was for early July we're hoping the flights will be cancelled. Like odyssey, we didn't fancy the idea of a holiday abroad where very little is open and we're just restricted in a foreign country, where's the fun in that, even if the risk was low!

Sounds good to me, I liked those times;)

it may have been good looking back, but if you were to go back to then with the knowledge and experience you have now you would be bored out of your tree. Dallas was riveting viewing in its day but its really dated now.

Good article here. Could have been written by Purple but they raise some very valid points. On the one hand we have Leo warning us on we can't borrow for ever and there is no free lunch and then we are introducing this which if going past June is out of step with the rest of Europe. The Government is putting thousands of jobs at permanent risk for measures that they have previously said have had no impact. Remember everyone saying stop travel from Italy around the rugby match and being told we were being silly.

The economic argument seems to be completely drowned out at this stage...

Good article here. Could have been written by Purple but they raise some very valid points. On the one hand we have Leo warning us on we can't borrow for ever and there is no free lunch and then we are introducing this which if going past June is out of step with the rest of Europe. The Government is putting thousands of jobs at permanent risk for measures that they have previously said have had no impact. Remember everyone saying stop travel from Italy around the rugby match and being told we were being silly.

Thanks for posting that.

Holohan should have been publicly slapped down by the Minister for Justice on his detention idea.

Great article alright, the government is afraid to take even small risks for fear that the death rate might rise slightly, then the narrative will be
"My grandmother died because you loosened the restrictions, YOU are responsible for my grandmother's death, shame on you"
Posts on facebook with picture of said grandmother, beside picture of unfortunate politician or official, this is the narrative throughout this crisis.

Great article alright, the government is afraid to take even small risks for fear that the death rate might rise slightly, then the narrative will be
"My grandmother died because you loosened the restrictions, YOU are responsible for my grandmother's death, shame on you"
Posts on facebook with picture of said grandmother, beside picture of unfortunate politician or official, this is the narrative throughout this crisis.
We are already getting the "Granny/Grandad's last words" fluff pieces, sorry, human interest stories.

We are already getting the "Granny/Grandad's last words" fluff pieces, sorry, human interest stories.

I actually like those!! I do feel sorry for families who lost someone and haven't had a chance to have a funeral.

Its the 'You don't care about the frontline staff' that really gets me.....The Government have built up this narrative that if you don't everything they say, we are basically killing old people and hospital staff. The vast majority of people have done what they asked us to do. We have given them time to build up testing, tracing and hospital capacity without a surge of cases. That is what they asked for. We now have a leader and Minister of finance basically warning us of economic Armageddon on one hand and we have a health minister warning us of a public health disaster on another. Meanwhile we get mixed messages, fluffy PR statements, nonsensical policy decisions like quarantine for visitors which is weeks too late and TD's who decide their workplace is too dangerous to spend more than two hours in but everyone else is grand.....

I was very supportive of what they did at the start but I just can't reconcile what they are doing in practice with the figures they are presenting. Apparently we are still seeing clusters in care homes and meat factories. How is that possible when apparently we are only using half our testing capacity?

I see that Dublin Airport is recommending that all travellers wear face masks inside the terminal. I would certainly hope that when winter comes around that they don't just switch on the heating in the terminal as normal. At the best of times it is hot and stuffy. Wearing masks will be a nightmare in that environment.
Also on flights. Hot stuffy cabin's and facemasks won't go down well so I hope for all our sakes that they have thought this through.

Leo was quoted on RTÉ just now. Only essential travel permitted. Do not leave the island for tourism. Do not come here for tourism.
And if you come here, there’s 14 days quarantine.
There will be an update in two weeks.

I’ve seen two foreign reg campervans in the last week!

Leo was quoted on RTÉ just now. Only essential travel permitted. Do not leave the island for tourism. Do not come here for tourism.
And if you come here, there’s 14 days quarantine.
There will be an update in two weeks.

I’ve seen two foreign reg campervans in the last week!

Is this an advisory or is it the law? I've flights booked for August, if everything goes to plan I'm going to travel.

I’m not sure. But by August things could be a lot different so I’d say you’ll be grand.

Back