Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

But who is going to pay for all these businesses kept closed indefinitely.

How does the cost of those measures compare to the additional overheads on the public health system and the costs of talking over the private hospitals and all the temp facilities like Citywest? What's the cost of stopping all the screening programs or the near halt in treating other conditions like cancer due to COVID workload?

But who is going to pay for all these businesses kept closed indefinitely. Currently they borrowing it from the bond markets, it would be a mistake to assume that they can continue to pay for everything indefinitely from borrowing, there is a time limit on that despite what is going on with the virus and what the doctors say. We don't have a huge sovereign wealth fund where we can afford the luxury of forced business closures going on years.
Yep, the only positive is that everyone is borrowing so all the Central banks will have to print money.

Discovered another tragic unintended consequence of the continuing pub lockdown this evening. Stopped at my local grocery shop which is also a pub. The pub is closed but I managed to procure 2 bottles of beer, one of which was a fancy Smithwicks blonde ale. I arrived home and discovered that my blonde ale is 4 months out of date.
I nearly have it consumed now but I'm worried it may be my second last beer ever.

Just a warning to everyone, check the best before dates if buying from desperate publicans.

Discovered another tragic unintended consequence of the continuing pub lockdown this evening. Stopped at my local grocery shop which is also a pub. The pub is closed but I managed to procure 2 bottles of beer, one of which was a fancy Smithwicks blonde ale. I arrived home and discovered that my blonde ale is 4 months out of date.
I nearly have it consumed now but I'm worried it may be my second last beer ever.

Just a warning to everyone, check the best before dates if buying from desperate publicans.

Tis a best before not a must consume by :)
Smithwicks production stopped for a while cos of the virus (not sure if it was a cluster or staff were focused on more popular lines), was cleaned out of supermarkets in Dublin for a time.
They must not sell much down your neck of the woods if that's a batch from last year!
The blonde ale is very nice, Belgian style.

Consuming some more of this out of date Blonde Smithwicks. It's a newer batch though, it's only 2 months out of date.
Didn't kill me the last time so no worries about my demise this time.

I see Leo Varadker making noises now about opening all the pubs soon
"OTHER countries are living with Covid-19 "better than us" and Ireland needs to rethink its strategy, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has told the Fine Gael parliamentary party. "
now that they have the schools opened the imperative to keeping pubs closed no longer exists even if the reason was dubious and unique to Ireland. The fact that they only provided a 16million euro compensation package for the entire sector means that they are not serious about continuing the embargo and that the enormous economic costs of some of the corona virus measures must be finally hitting home for the government.
It's also the case that varadker has detected that the public mood has changed on this over the last month and that the public no longer believe the reasons for keeping them closed stack up

Last edited:
Re-opening from 21st September... except maybe in Dublin and Limerick:

This all boggles the mind. The rate of infection is increasing in the community and the pubs are going to be operating exactly as "gastropubs" have been but just without the goujons. Why couldn't they open on that basis when the others did? Why wait until the 21st? Total and utter nonsense.

This all boggles the mind. The rate of infection is increasing in the community and the pubs are going to be operating exactly as "gastropubs" have been but just without the goujons. Why couldn't they open on that basis when the others did? Why wait until the 21st? Total and utter nonsense.

Yeah really struggling to understand this on public health grounds. Obviously a political decision based on increased noise around the issue. If they can open now, they could have opened two months ago. It's a nonsense.

I agree. If pubs can open safely then why not. Look how many pubs serving, food, are under investigation for non compliance . There are always going to be some that will obey and some who will not. Just punish the ones that do not, heavily. But they should have been open along with the others.

Obviously a political decision

It clearly is, this move will lead to an increase in cases. if it was just a public health decision they'd remain shut. The only way this move might help is to spread the numbers of those who want to go out from congregation in a smaller number of premises that are flouting the current guidelines.

It clearly is, this move will lead to an increase in cases. if it was just a public health decision they'd remain shut.

But they refused to open them on july 20 when the number of cases was between 10 and 20, so the refusal to open them then was also not a "public health decision", it was for optics. The number of cases then continued to rise and rise despite the closed pubs and are higher now than many countries that have had their pubs open since June. We only recently started mass testing in meat factories, there is still secrecy surrounding testing in direct provision centres, whether it is happening or not.
The green list is now a joke as Ireland has a higher infection rate than many of the countries on it, the few countries like greece that have a higher rate than us now but are still on the green list.

It clearly is, this move will lead to an increase in cases. if it was just a public health decision they'd remain shut. The only way this move might help is to spread the numbers of those who want to go out from congregation in a smaller number of premises that are flouting the current guidelines.

Also, there was no follow-up on the powers re: house parties.
I don't think nonfood pubs are considered any safer than they were, but they are now being judged versus the alternative outlets.

Also, there was no follow-up on the powers re: house parties.
I don't think nonfood pubs are considered any safer than they were, but they are now being judged versus the alternative outlets.
Gatherings in houses seem to be the problem.

...so the refusal to open them then was also not a "public health decision", it was for optics.

Let's be honest, none of these are public health decisions, they are all political decisions. Some of them just align more closely with public health advice than others.

Yeehaah! Had my first pint in my local, post Covid ( probably only mid Covid, but who cares).
I've managed to get to a pub every week or so over the last while. Meeting a friend for a pint has turned into a kind of awkward romantic dinner setting. It does make for a great opportunity to make a slightly homophobic friend really uncomfortable!

Back