Will Stan go?

elefantfresh

Man alive, that was some show last night - it will humiliating. It was sad. Its hard to believe that we've come to this. There really are a decent bunch of players there but they're just not playing. Out of position? Out of passion? Its hard to know. But i think Stans not the man for the job. I thought when he was appointed that it was an odd decision but hey, what do i know. But the results/performances speak for themselves. It has now been proven to be an incorrect decision to give him the job. Surely to goodness the FAI and Stan must come to some decision to part ways and then actually go about getting a qualified manager for once. I have nothing against Stan. He's been a wonderful servant for this country. Its just a shame he's not a top manager.
Should Delany be the guy to go also as it was his decision in the first place and he's just proven (once again) that he hasnt a clue either.
Argh!!! What a nightmare.

Should Delany be the guy to go also as it was his decision in the first place and he's just proven (once again) that he hasnt a clue either.

Hopefully, 'cos he's been there justifying the reasoning behind the unjustifiable for the past few years and he definitely should be the first to walk (closely followed by Stan, btw. Good player but not a manager)

Delaney will hang on for dear life. Last night may be the straw that broke the camel's back for him though with regard to Stan and he may ditch him and come up with some sort of spin to try and save himself.....

In my eyes if Stan goes (and he should), Delaney has to go too. The problem is Delaney knows that's what the media thinks too and the public, so who knows what sort of powerplay he'll come up with.

The appointment was a joke and the performances since have been a joke, unfortunately it's a joke at our expense.

Stan was a great player for both ireland and the clubs he played for, but the root of this problem goes back to the FAI. The three panelists, Brady, Dunphy and Giles all stated this last night. Normally Dunphy is just having a pop at the FAI for his own bitter reasons but I think this time he has got it right. Stan will have to go, as it would take a miracle to resurrect a relationship with the players, fans & media.
He should be closely followed by Delaney.

surprising, I didn't know it was John Delaney who missed sitters in front of goal, or Stan who didn't pick up the Cypriot defender who scored, oops, I guess the PLAYERS didn't perform.

Absolute shambles. Staunton didn't deserve to be put in the position that he gets booed off the pitch after the years of wonderful service he gave this country. The FAI have to take full responsibility for the appointment which has now proven to be a disaster. Players need to take a long hard look at themselves as well.

Another major issue I have with the FAI is the way they sold the tickets for these two games as a package. Basically over 16,000 people bought tickets for last night but didn't turn up. I would guess that alot of those people couldn't afford to make the trip Dublin for the second time in 5 days. I think it is a shocking way to treat Irish fans. I am convinced they would have sold more than 54,000 last nights if they put the tickets on general release and did a bit of marketing instead of trying to screw loyal fans by trying to force them to attend two games.

Will Stan go?

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens...so we will.

If they were loyal they'd have been there, hail rain or Cyrpus. But wait until Brazil come - oh dear lord the "fans" will be out in force. The FAI did right, they know we have a poor fan base in the country, otherwise EL grounds would be full, instead of our "fans" going by bus, boat, rail and plane to Britain every weekend to watch fare that doesn't quite match up to neatly packaged MOTD highlights. We get what we deserve.

Thats rubbish. Its fine if you live in Dublin and can just pop into Croke Park. I know people from Cork and Galway who go to EL games who bought tickets for the games for themselves and their kids but could not in any way afford to make the trip to Dubin twice within 5 days never mind paying the same price for a game against Cyprus as they paid against Germany which was bad enough. And to suggest that makes them bad fans is complete nonsense. The FAI would have filled Croke Park last night if they had put a bit of work into marketing the game.

You couldn't give tickets away for that game last night. Its not because of marketing, people just weren't interested.

i had a ticket for last night and didn't go. I took less than face value for it. I live in Dublin and am a season ticket holder at a LOI club.
I didn't go because I couldn't have been bothered watching utter rubbish served up by underperforming players and managed by someone who quite obviously isn't up for the job, appointed by someone who quite obviously has his own agenda with regard to securing his position in the irish football.

Regarding ticket sales, I think the FAI did the smart thing by taking money off people upfront. There would have been a lot less than 54 thousand at the match last night otherwise. Since the move to Croker tickets have not been a problem for any match so those people known as "real fans" shouldn't have had any problems getting a ticket for any match.

Delaney out / Stan out!

shane is right Sunny, it's not marketing, it's that the "fans" didn't bother to go. They wanted to see the Germans play, but had no intention of going to see the Cypriots. People have a choice, they can go to games, or they don't. This nonsense of "we're the best fans in the world", yeah, when we're winning!

The FAI were dead on the money to make the tickets a package deal, and I agree also that the players weren't up to the task, and the manner in which the appointment was done was nonsense (Staunton's). It's a disgrace that a decent man was fed to the wolves and had a "mentor" forced on him and he ought to have known how he'd be treated after the shabby treatment doled out to Brian Kerr.

It's a disgrace that a decent man was fed to the wolves

Lets not forget Stan is getting 400-500k a year for this for 4 years. Thats a lot of money to walk away from. I'd listen to 50,000 fans booing me for that sort of money.

But i think Stans not the man for the job.

And so say all of us. I have'nt met a single person today who would disagree. He is a mile out of his depth. The FAI are to blame for putting him in the there. Stan has tried hard, but simply has not the ability to manage at this level.

I want Stan out now.

The problems lies with the FAI and the decision they made two years ago to appoint a novice manager with NO experience. The problem lies with John Delaney and HIS decision to give his "friend" the job when at the time other qualified and experienced managers put their names forward but didnt get the chance of an interview even.

Yes the players have to take some of the blame and trust me they do. But when your sitting in a dressing room and the team is being announced and you hear that player x is playing totally out of position and then you hear the tactics you start to question the judgment of you rmanager fairly quickly. Some of those players out there last night simply havnt preformed for Ireland lately and dont deserve a jersey. So why do they keep getting one and some of these players get one to play out of their natural position too. Its crazy! Last night we had nothing to play for and everything to play for at the same time. We should have gone all out against the Germans on Sat night, they had nothing to play for, they had qualified already, but what did we resort to? Long balls again to Keane and Doyle. Who makes these decisions? Staunton.

And as for the FAI..... the Irish fans have been fantastic supporters over the years and have spent a fortune going to matches both home and away. Last night the FAI had made their money so they didnt care how many turned up, they didnt even announce the official attendance or thank the crowd for turning up. Thats actually the first time this has happened in my memory. Believe it or not the FAI are taking in over €4m a game. Last night there was roughly €1.2m in unused tickets that had been paid for already. Now granted thats not all profit, but come on, they say we didnt have the money for a top international manager.. So where is all this money going..??

I hope I have to never boo at an Irish match again and I mean that.

Delaney to Go NOW
And bring Stan with you.

Not being a soccer fan as such, I can't comment knowledgeably on Staunton's shortcomings but I have noticed some unpleasant trends among Irish sports fans in general who nowadays seem to demand success at all costs and who are very intolerant and impatient of any sort of failure, even when there are clear reasons to explain such failure.

A few examples

- Staunton now looks to be the third Irish soccer manager in succession to be forced out of his job because the team wasn't winning.

- Eddie O'Sullivan was widely feted as being the greatest Irish rugby coach ever and one of the best in the world, when he renewed his IRFU contract a few months ago. This changed quickly when we failed to beat the two World Cup semi-finalists.

- Every time the Olympics are on, there is a terrible whinge about why we aren't winning as many medals as countries much bigger than us.

- Approximately one-third of the GAA county teams managers are sacked each year, despite the fact that only a few counties can realistically aspire to All Ireland success at any given time. This autumn, Dublin came very very close to beating a Kerry team that are head and shoulders above everyone else in the country, and in the following days, the "experts" were calling for their manager to be sacked. Mayo fired their manager last year despite their best season in donkey's years, because they didn't manage to beat Kerry in the All Ireland Final. Cork footballers now look set to do likewise this year. Counties like Sligo and Cavan, with little record of success, have even fired managers for losing relatively inconsequential league games.

Crazy, crazy, crazy...