Will rain have negative impact on floor insulation prior to pouring screed?

apple1

Hi, this may be a silly question, but I'm about to lay my floor insulation over
subfloor prior to laying UFH pipes. I'm building TF, so no shelter yet (pouring screed prior to erection of kit) and will be laying insulation that is exposed to the elements until such time as I pour the screed. Obviously given the time of year (well this applies nearly any time in this country), there is a strong likelihood that I'll encounter rain sometime between laying the insulation and pouring the screed. Will this have a very negative impact on the insulation or do I need to wait until I'm guaranteed a dry spell for 5 - 7 days? Thanks in advance, apple1

You don't need to pour the screed now.

You could put in the pipes & do the floor screed when the house is closed off if you used a company like [broken link removed] ( no interest in the company) . I have seen this in action when the house was plastered and I though it was great because the plumbers put the pipework in after the plastering etc was complete ( for the under floor )

Thanks bertie, but given I'm building timberframe, I had hoped to powerfloat the screed prior to the kit being erected. As it is timberframe, I'm hoping that any damage to the finished floor during the remaining trades will be minimal.

Hi Apple1,

I was in the same boat about a month ago. However I managed to lay the insulation, pipes and pour the screed over a three day period. Day one was relatively dry but day two was wet, so when we walked over the floor with insulation down you could hear the water underneath. This wasnt a major hassle as my builder was able to "hover" the water out of the base with an industrial type hover from a hire plant (sorry I dont know the exact name of machine).
I mentioned the fact of the insulation getting wet before the screed being poured to my engineer and he said its no problem, whatever water is trapped below the insulation simply rises when you pour the screed, it does mean that the screed will take a little longer to dry out.

Thanks Sunnysouth....appreciate the response. Its good to hear from someone with similar experience. Hows the build gone over the last month? Have you made much progress? Good luck with the remainder....apple1

Back