Will Rafa & the team be watching the 7-2 Masterclass?

There's a lot of 'Red Sky Over Manchester' in that reply mate.
1) $2bn today compared to $3.5bn in '07 is probably optimistic.
2) Conservatively valuing MU at $4.5bn 'min' is pure pipe dream. Clubs aren't investing. People aren't signing up to Sky/Fox Sports in their droves, hence the 'Free SkyHD box' offers.
3) There's a LOT of 'ifs' in your post.

MU are saddled with up on £1bn of debt. MU bought no-one of note during the summer after making £80m on CR7.
MU will have to find a successor to Ferguson (and soon!). There's a lot of holes in the MU team, especially considering the imminent departure of Giggs, Scholes, Vidic, Van Der Sar, and possibly Berbatov, along with the RB/RM gap as has been mentioned (That's a whole lotta money needed to cover all those spots) that are not evident in the Chelski, Arsenal, Barca and (dare I say it, RM) teams.
I reckon ye should win the title (at a push) but Chelski will puch you for it. Arsenal may even beat you to 2nd. Liverpool (my team...yes I peered over the parapet for this thread ) will be lucky to get 6th and that may be the best thing to happen us. "It's only when you've lost everything etc.etc.".

MU fans watched the crumbling of the Liverpool Empire in the 90s. I look forward to the reverse in the coming decade. Not saying you didn't deserve most of it, but damn, you had a lot of luck along the way, when we had zilch.

Ah well, Europa (You're Ropey) League, nice to meet you. I reckon we'll be friends for a while !!!

People aren't signing up to Sky/Fox Sports in their droves, hence the 'Free SkyHD box' offers.

There are a lot of ifs but it comes down to a simple fact that the future is online.

Sky is going down the pan. They are looking for more and more gimicks to hold on to customers. Eventually the internet is where it will be.
The big clubs will move the rights to games to internet providers. I will happily pay £1 per month to watch United online. There will be millions more that will do the same thing. Ditto for Barca, Real, Liverpool etc. etc.

I think the Man U valuation is a little optimistic - bit like our friends in the property basis valuing properties on potential yield rather than the price they would achieve if they were put up for sale. People have actually shelled out over 1bn on NFL clubs in recent years. Nobody has ever spent this amount of money on a Premiership club.

You may argue on the potential of Asian markets, but its still only potential - is aspiration rather than the current reality. If Man U really was in the 1bn club, then dont you think that there would be some physical evidence of this? Their stadium is a dump and low on revenue compared with all the others on the list above.

Murdoch's main plan is to take the BBC down as it's free service is eating into his entire operation, but the writing's on the wall for Sky. The Premiership saved it all those years ago, but that monopoly's gone.

The clubs are desperate to get out of the Premiership deal and start negotiating their own deals, I think the internet is their queue, probably through their own websites.

As to the OP, I guess what interests me most is that after such a win, the first thought was of your (ex)rivals down the road. Kind of cute really that in the throws of victory your thoughts were still with the pool.

I would tend to agree with Pique, but I'm not that confident. Most clubs are a house of cards and a drop in revenue like pool will face this year could well be a disaster rather than a godsend. The only hope is it drives out the current owners and gets in new owners.

If G&H stay on, I can only see it being a Leeds/Newcastle saga.

Have to say, the draw was very kind to United.
Barcelona, Inter and Arsenal all in the other side of the draw.
They should easily make the final now.

It won't be easy against either Bayern or the winners of Lyon/Bordeaux if we get past the QF but definitely prefer our half of the draw. If we can keep everybody fit until then end of the season then we're in with a shout of a third consecutive final.

It's really exciting looking forward to a rerun of last year's final of United v Barca. Rooney v Messi! Then again, Inter v United would be interesting too - Jose v Fergie!

If we can keep everybody fit until then end of the season then we're in with a shout of a third consecutive final.

and the final is on the same day as the Heineken Cup final....
"Hello Mr. Barman, today I will be mostly here for the entire day, mostly!"

Arsenal will bottle it like they do against all big teams. Good opportunity for Fabregas to audition for Barca.

I am really looking forward to that game. But is it really bottling it when you are playing Barca? Most teams are just happy to keep to within a score of them at Camp Nou.
Messi is basically unplayable on current form. And if he doesn't get you Xabi and Iniesta will rip you to pieces with balls to Henry and Ibra.

Oh, I so hope United get another crack at them!!!

Arsenal will bottle it like they do against all big teams. Good opportunity for Fabregas to audition for Barca.

I see Aresnal giving them a good game, i reckon they will suit Arsenals style and it could be a case of who takes their (many) chances.

Well if Barca are to do it they will need to play too differing styles. Arsenal and Inter will approach the games very differently. Arsenal should give them a very good game.

Now on to more pressing matters and back on topic. This Sunday. Torres v Vidic. It surely can't end in another red card, can it? I might have to emigrate if United lose to the pool again. Sneaky bet on Berba to score.

Now on to more pressing matters and back on topic. This Sunday. Torres v Vidic. It surely can't end in another red card, can it? I might have to emigrate if United lose to the pool again. Sneaky bet on Berba to score.

Berbatov had a terrific game last w/e against Fulham. I don't want to get my hopes up, we're due a win against Liverpool but I wouldn't put it past them to raise their game for this one as they seem to have done in recent seasons. #19 is close and an unprecedented 4-in-a-row would be some way to do it!

That looks like it for The 'Pool now - I can't see them getting 4th place now unless there are some major slip ups.

That looks like it for The 'Pool now - I can't see them getting 4th place now unless there are some major slip ups.

It will be extremely difficult to get 4th but not impossible as there will be points dropped elsewhere.
  • Liverpool have the easisest run in IMO. Leaving the Chelsea game to one side, Liverpool haveSunderland, Birmingham, Fulham, West Ham, Burnley and Hull.
  • Spurs still must play the top three over 14 days in April. They also have to face City on the 2nd last day of the season.
  • City must play United and Arsenal. Their next 3 games are all Lancashire derbies against Everton, Wigan and Burnley.
  • Villa have Chelsea away and City away.The week before the City game they have the Birmingham derby.
Mind you Benitez might just go and play Torres at full back and start with 2 holding midfielders and 4 centre halves. Anything is possible with that man.

Mind you Benitez might just go and play Torres at full back and start with 2 holding midfielders and 4 centre halves. Anything is possible with that man.

Agreed...he always retains the capacity to surprise us..

Theres something rotten at the 'Pool right now - not sure who or what it is though. Too easy to just pick names to blame. I think theres something more fundamentally wrong to be honest.

Theres something rotten at the 'Pool right now - not sure who or what it is though. Too easy to just pick names to blame. I think theres something more fundamentally wrong to be honest.

Can I try without ever mentioning a name.

It is the summer of 2009. You have £35M to spend. Almost half of it goes on a right back. Over half goes on a player who is injured and has only averaged 15 games a season for the last 3 years. What little is left goes on a centre back.

Liverpool boot room hacked to pieces and replaced by Spanish speaking mercenaries.

Division in the camp between Spanish speaking and English speaking players. This was hinted at a Dutch player who didn't have Spanish as a third language. Another Dutch player did have Spanish and so they didn't hang around together. One plays every week and the other doesn't. Have a guess which one plays?

No man management of any type whatsoever. Even the Spaniards are giving out about that now.

Over reliance on certain players. Whether they play well or not, they stay on the pitch.

Excellent underage players are thrown to the wind and don't get the chance. Players win Youth FA cups but hardly get a look in. An example of this would be at left back where the pool have let go a possible England world cup squad member in exchange for a LB who can't defend.

Rigid system which suffocates attacking players and goal scorers. Excluding Liverpool, 5 of the top 6 clubs have an ex-liverpool striker on their books.

Wingers come and go. They arrive as wingers and leave as quasi full backs.

No creativity. Two holding midfielders played regularly against relegation threatened opposition.

The lad who was to bring some creativity is a china doll.

It has nothing to do with finances at the club. Well over £200M has been spent and there is practically nowt to show for it.

The best player on the team reckons that most of his colleagues are rubbish. He is so sure of it that he tells the papers that half the team should be replaced.