Will my mothers Irish pension be stopped

Slightly

Hello

My mother receives an Irish Pension
She has received a letter informing her that if her circumstances have changed it may affect her pension.
One of the circumstances mentioned is if someone is living with her.

My brother moved in with her some years ago.
He is not a carer or a dependant.
He is a grown man working in a low paid job.

My mother is now worried this will affect her pension after she declares this on the form attached to the letter
I have asked her is she receiving 'Living alone allowance'
She has no record of this and has never heard about this allowance until I mentioned it to her.

She is 82 years old and is worried about this so I would appreciate a quick reply

Thanks

The fact that your brother has moved in would have no effect on her main pension. It would affect the Living Alone Allowance - which might have been processed at the time your mother applied for her pension. She would no longer be entitled to the allowance.

She would also keep her electricity or gas allowance and TV licence.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I dont think my mother receives the living alone allowance but I cant be sure.
If she has received it do you think she will have to pay it back for the years my brother lived with her ?

Is your mother receiving a non contributory pension ? The maximum rate is currently €247 for over 80 and the living alone allowance is €9 so you can check it. The non contributory is means tested so any extra income she might have has to be notified to S.W. The non contributory pension is €248.30 plus €10 for over 80 and she can have as much income as she can get without notifying S.W but of course she has to pay tax if she is over the threshold.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response
I don't know if its non contributory.
She hasn't paid any voluntary contributions.

My mother's pension is small. Its pro rata as she only worked for 4 years as a young woman before moving to UK years ago.

Please advise

Back