Will MOT certificate suffice here until expiry

darvas

Owner moving back to Ireland from UK. His car has MOT certificate effective for another nine months.
Will this suffice here until expiry and then he can obtain NCT certificate. (He would be anxious about not displaying the NCT certificate in the meantime)

I saw this question asked on another forum, and the answer, apparently confirmed by NCT customer service, was that MOT certs are no longer valid until expiry in EU countries, including Ireland, since Brexit.

The CVRT site makes it clear that the unexpired MOT is no longer recognised:

The NCT site doesn't seem to have anything clear on this but I would assume that the same applies in that context. It does have this though:
My vehicle was imported from Northern Ireland/ Great Britain, do I need an NCT Certificate?
For Vehicles imported from Northern Ireland /Great Britain, the vehicle (once it is 4 years old) will be due for its NCT when it was first registered in Ireland. This applies to all four-year-old vehicles with an NCT due every two years and then annually for all cars that present for their 10th anniversary or subsequent NCT.

Back