will light fittings bought in Belfast work down here?

secondtime

Hi everyone,
Apologies in advance if this is the dumbest question ever posted on this site, but...I was thinking about buying some light fittings in IKEA in Belfast and I just wondered if they would work here in Dublin. The reason I ask is that I heard that some plumbing-type things are not compatible so perhaps it's the same with electrical-type things?? Anyone know?

We got some light fittings in Ikea last weekend and they don't seem to fit - i.e. the usual shade types have a larger hole so don't fit over the socket part where the bulb goes in and some other fittings require different bulbs.

I think a lot of Ikea items are different sizes to the norm so that you have to get additional items in Ikea - e.g. beds are slightly bigger so regular single/double/king sheets don't fit and you have to get the Ikea ones.

Hi everyone,
Apologies in advance if this is the dumbest question ever posted on this site, but...I was thinking about buying some light fittings in IKEA in Belfast and I just wondered if they would work here in Dublin...
There's a number of different light-bulbs and light fittings out there, "standard" bayonet, screw-in, mini-bayonet (B15), mini screw-in, double-ended strip lights (for bathroom "shaver" fittings), halogen down-lighters, spot-lights, etc.

Take some of your own bulbs with you and check that the fittings you want can take the bulbs.

This isn't an IKEA problem; Dunnes Stores, LIDL / ALDI, Woodies and so on all sell "non-standard" light fittings. Watch out for low wattage bed-side lamps in particular as replacement bulbs may not be readily available.

Voltages should be OK as the UK is the same as us.

Thanks for the replies. Good suggestion about bringing a bulb with me, will definitely do that.

Back