Will an electric shower bought from the UK (eBay) work in Ireland?

Instalation was not a problem, the near death experience notwithstanding.

Chippengael

Talk to us about the near death experience. What went wrong ? Obviously the water and electricity came in contact ?

Did you suffer ? Did it knock you out ? How long were you unwell ?
What saved you, did the fuse not blow instantly ?

Did you have an out of body experience ?

Did you have RCD protection ?

What aspect of the installation was not done properly ?

Firstly I should add, I hate electric shower's as I feel they underperform in our modern world.

How can you say this Davy jones !

I think electric showers are fantastic. Very energy efficient, you only heat up the water you actually use.

And the best bit, the water temperature doesn't change during the shower, you can have a 30 minute shower if you want.
And you don't have to wait for a cylinder of water to get hot.
And you don't have to beat your brother up because he used all the hot water 10 minutes before your shower.

OK, if you like a power shower, you wont be happy with an electric shower, but a power shower might get cold half way during the shower, just as you are rinceing the shampoo from your head, how miserable

I'm guessing you have never had a power shower. A thermostatic power shower is far superior than the best electric shower.. I rather wait for a good shower than have a poor one at the ready. But, every man/women for their own.

Well, my plumber, who is a very nice guy and who we trust, allowed his junior to do the electrical installation. This guy ran a cable to the attic and took the power from the house lighting circuit, which is not grounded. So while there was a ground connection in the shower unit, the other end wasn't connected to anything. The plumber never checked the quality of the work.

So, the following morning I hop into my long awaited new shower, and new metallic bath! Just as I am about to turn it on, my hand brushes the metallic hose leading from the unit to the showerhead and ZING! Hmmm....lets try that again...ZING!

Out with the multimeter - there's a 30V AC stray voltage between the metal shower hose and the bath taps. Clearly the unit isn't grounded.

The plumber called and electrician friend who completely rerouted the supply to run on the immersion circuit (which has an RCD) and added a fused switch. The plumber paid the electrician over €200 to recitify the situation.

So - no I didn't get hurt or knocked out. But there was very little between this situation and something much more serious occuring. The bottom line is get a qualified electrician to do the electrical connection, and a plumber to do the rest.