Will a marble kitchen countertop stain?

mloc

We are researching kitchens at the moment and came across a beautiful speckled brown and cream marble countertop in Nolan kitchens. We are strongly thinking of choosing it for the countertops and the island.
I've heard that marble can stain but I was wondering if anybody has any first hand experience of using marble countertops and possible problems?
I've spoken with a few people who say they've 'heard' they stain but I have not yet spoken with somebody who has first hand experience of having a marble top?

We would expect to be able to use the countertop for baking (flour, dough wet countertop etc) and all the standard stuff you use a kitchen for.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

The idea to keep in mind above all others when dealing with marble countertops is that marble is a porous stone, more so than granite. Since it can absorb liquids, try to avoid soap scum, excess dirt, and acidic materials like vinegar,alcohol, coffee and fruit juices.

I loved the very marble you are considering but went with a emerald pearl granite in the end. Am delighted I did. Reason was granite is less likely to stain, chip etc.

If you go with the marble a good maintenance regime is a must. It will have to be sealed twice as often as granite i.e. twice a year. I would also reccomend lots of coasters, pan plates, chopping boards etc.

Also I got the granite for a much more reasonable price than I expected. Marble ie quite expensive

I know that this is against the Grain so to speak, but have you considered some of the new Plastic worktops, (In House or B & Q). They look beautiful, can take a fair bit of wear and tear and will leave alot of change in your pocket. We did one kitchen in this type and another in a very fancy African natural timber -- looks fantastic but what a headache getting it right.

Sure marble will stain, ask anyone who has ever had a mishap with a glass of red wine. Not surprising therefore that most of the stone tops are neutral or dark in colour.

Unless you're measured use of kitchen implements is similar to Hannibal Lecter I would avoid light marble worktops in kitchen areas.