Wifi vs. Ethernet

teddyk

Hi All,

I have recently signed up to Eircom BB and I have received my modem.
I haven't tried to install it yet. The Eircom BB installation guide gives 2 options for installation.
The first on is via ethernet, while the second one is wifi.

What are the advanatages/disadvantages of one type of installation over the other?
I don't have a laptop, will be installing on a home pc. Don't know if I need a wifi setup.

Hope this makes sense.

If you use ethernet then the router needs to be in reach of both the phone socket via the telephone cable and the pc via the ethernet cable. If like me your only phone socket is in the hall then this ian't a suitable option as cables would have to go everywhere or have the PC in the hall.

Did you get a wireless USB key too (not sure if they are included) if not pick one up, plug into a USB port on the pc and the PC will wirelessly connect back to the router and the router can be near the phone.

If your phone socket is close by the PC then I would use ethernet only

Has anyone tried switching between the two options after install or does it involve a reinstall each time.

Thanks paddyc.
Main phone socket is in living room. There was an (unused) extension in the kitchen, which we got extended upstairs to where the pc is. Current setup is that we have the pc beside the new phone socket in a spare bedroom upstairs. Phone socket in living room is already split to connect phone and sky+ line. Think I'll go the ethernet route, should have network card in pc. Just hoping now that all these phone extensions won't affect the setup.

teddyk.

It shouldn't require a re-install, however you prob can only have the pc connected to the router by one one method at the same time as (never tried a wireless and wired connection to the same router on the same network simultaenously) I image you would have problems routing traffic through one of the interfaces.

If you are switching from wired to wireless you would need to install the drivers for your wireless key - XP should auto detect or drivers will be included on a CD.

If using wireless however be sure to secure the network by Mac address and encryption key - the keys can be cracked but would be very difficult to get a correct Mac address as every single network device in the world should have a unique Mac address

You might also be interested in the posts on home networking over your power plugs in this forum, access in every room with a plug for about €100