WiFi Access Dublin Aiport

Gringo78

Anyone know what the story is with the WiFi access in Dublin Airport? According to the signs in the airport there is a Hotspot now airport wide from Eircom but you can only access it if you have a subscription account with eircom or if you buy a scratchcard (30min for 5 euro). According to the eircom site scratchcards are on sale at the hotspot but I found none in the shops and Airport Information could tell me nothing!!!
Anyone know what these eircom subscription accounts work out at cost wise?

My brother claimed to have got free access there a few weeks ago - Did you try connecting?

I also got free access about 2 months ago but I should add I am an Eircom broadband customer maybe thats why I was allowed to connect, I'm not sure.....

The WiFi access was free throughout the airport since it was installed until a week or two ago. I used it for free on the 25th July but it had to be paid for when I accessed it on 2nd August. (Didn't bother paying though, seemed to be poor value).

It's an absolute joke and a classic example of Rip off Ireland. Why oh why, when internet cafe's are charging Eur3 for an HOUR to sit down and use THEIR equipment to surf the net, do Eircom think we should pay Eur5 for a half hour to use our own equipment - just cos it's wireless?

When people don't pay the price will come down.

its now €3 for 1/2 an hour ...can't remember the rest of the prices. If you can't find anywhere selling vouchers there is a link on the homepage so they can be bought online which is how I got mine

Thanks for that. Twas free until July 27th I think but it has to be paid for. As far as I know the 30min cards that you buy are also a rip off in that the 30min runs from time of connection so you can't use 5min one day, 5min another day. If you only want to quickly check your emails it costs you 3 euros.

Gringo78 said:
As far as I know the 30min cards that you buy are also a rip off in that the 30min runs from time of connection so you can't use 5min one day, 5min another day. If you only want to quickly check your emails it costs you 3 euros.

Exactly - there would be some merit in having a multi use card up to the number of minutes purchased. Bitbuzz do this with some of their cards. Eircom unfortunately as always try to screw the customer.

I have since found out that if you have are an existing broadband customer with eircom you can get a WiFi login and password for 12euro per month extra which from my understanding means you would have unlimited WiFi access. These seems a very good value deal. Anybody using that? Any know of any hitches with it? I travel a lot so 12euro a month for internet access on the move would seem good value.

From the Eircom Site:

Eircom hotspot monthly subscription:
- €10 ex. VAT / €12.10 inc. VAT option for existing eircom broadband customers
- €25 ex. VAT / €30.25 inc. VAT option for eircom customers who do not have eircom broadband at present

Pre-Pay:
- 30 mins €3
- 1 hour €5
- 24 hours €15
- 7 Days €30

Interesting story here........

[broken link removed]

Nice to see the way monopolies stick together (DAA & Eircom)

So much for competition!

By the way, if you need it, Hughes and Hughes have internet points in their store at the airport. The public store, not the one through the departure gates.

podgerodge said:
And do they charge for this or is it a free service??
I presume Cathy is refering to the 5 or 6 desktop PC's set up as a mini Internet cafe just outside Hughes & Hughes. You can see these as you queue to get through security. I'm pretty sure there is a fee involved.

Re: no free WiFi in Anna Livia lounge any more

The Anna Livia lounge used to have free WiFi but that's gone now too. You have to leave the lounge and go downstairs to purchase an Eircom scratch card in the Sky Music shop. I used it last Wednesday because I had an hour to kill.

Back