Width on TV Screen

dangerhere

I have a 32" Sony widescreen and no matter what setting Ii put it at e.g.wide, smart etc it does not take in the complete corners of the screen. Very annoying when watching a match in particular as the time and/or scores do not show properly. Anyone know where the problem lies?

CRT screen? Signal from aerial or Sky/NTL box etc? Black bar at the top and bottom of the screen? Does the screen get wider/bars narrower when the picture changes from dark to bright?

Towger

I have the exact same problem, but it seems to be limited to certain stations or certain broadcasts...
Maybe something to do with the format the show or whatever is broadcast in?
I always notice it on 'Lost' on RTE2 - half the credits are missing

I also have Sony 28" CRT - Would love to hear some expert opinions on this.....

Video output on their box may not be set to widescreen, if it has the option.
or
They are messing with the signal when retransmitting it.
or
TV is out of alignment.

Can you try another TV?

There is a signal that is encoded into the broadcast that indicates the format of the picture. There are previous threads of people experiencing problems with NTL digital (and Chorus are owned by the same co.) where the system seems to lose this, I've even seen it change from ad to ad, and then fail to return correctly when the program resumes. I think changing channels and going back often resolves it.

Guess only NTL or Chorus could tell you for sure what the problem is. Might be a signal strength issue where the aspect ratio signal is being lost.

That has been happening with our Sky for the past few months & mainly on RTE/TV3/TG4 - on both tv's in the house (37" Philips LCD & 26" Sharp LCD)

Have adjusted ALL picture settings, but absolutely no difference!

Hi worked it out myself for a Sky box after I went home:

select Services on the remote control
4 System Setup
1 Picture Settings
On Picture Format toggle to 16:9
Then choose save settings and select

Easy as that!

J2K

This worked for me. thanks

Originally Posted by The Pool Boy http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=424173#post424173
For Chorus Digital

Press Menu
Select Installation
Select Set Top Box Installation
Select TV and VCR Installation
Change TV Screen Size to 16/9 by using the left/right arrows
Press OK to save changes
Press exit to return to TV channel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055099138

Hope this helps

On mine was having to do this each time I turned it on, but have found if you don't turn if off just unplug it when finished it seems to keep the settings (Sounds wacky I know)

I have a sanyo 32inch crt tv, and a couple of months ago, the widescreen stopped working. Its more like a standard TV now, with two balck lines either side. You get used to it ansd forget its broke, but every now and then it dawns on you and its a bit annoying. Was going to drop it in to get fixed, but planning on getting an lcd in the near future, so not really worht the bother. Anyone had this problem, or know of an easy fix ?
Wexfordman