Widescreen TV

A

ABYR

Wheres the best place in Dublin to buy a 32" widescreen TV. Anyone heard of any offers recently where they give you either a free stand or a set of surround sound speakers?

Hi ABYR,

I find DID to be the best. I dont like PowerCity or any of the British High Street Stores.

ajapale

We got a free stand with ours when we bought it in Power City last April. Find them good on prices. See today's Irish Times for current offers.

Sue-Ellen, this 2 year old thread you have referenced on widescreen is, in my opinion, no longer relevant. Not to mention the fact that the prices are in IEP and completely out of date.

Widescreen is definitely the future - the trend towards digital TV, sales and rentals of widescreen DVD titles outselling fullscreen titles all mean that more and more widescreen TVs will be sold, which in turn will push more and more programming to this format.

Widescreen is now the agreed European standard for digital television broadcasts.

[broken link removed] says:

The BBC is a widescreen broadcaster with most of its digital output being in 16:9 format.

Widescreen is now the agreed European standard for digital television broadcasts.

Widescreen on Analogue
Viewers watching analogue will generally* see a 14:9 picture. The 14:9 picture is intended to be a compromise between the traditional 4:3 picture and the 16:9 widescreen format. The intention is to try and keep original artistic composition of widescreen while not imposing thick black bands at the top and bottom of the screen.

This 14:9 compromise seems to be the emerging standard for drama on BBC and other channels.

Ever get that deja vu feeling? It is quite ironic that that is that is just what we were told 2 years ago, i.e. widescreen is definitely the future and everything will be in widescreen in 6 months time. Certainly, the price differential between widescreen & 4:3 has reduced dramatically. Indeed, you may find it difficult or impossible to get a decent sized 4:3 TV.

But I'm still not convinced that most of the material is being shot in widescreen - There is no point in broadcasting the stuff in widescreen if it has been shot in 4:3. I'd really love to see some hard data regarding the percentage of material that is being shot in widescreen.

How long did this last?

(Admittedly, the 14:9 of widescreen is closer to the [broken link removed] than your standard 4:3 telly...)

I'm still not convinced that most of the material is being shot in widescreen

This Nov 2002 article stated that:

In the UK analogue terrestrial transmissions are all 4:3, but the "new" digital terrestrial and digital satellite services are available in 16:9. The main BBC channels (BBC ONE & BBC TWO) have probably around 50% widescreen programming on them - it has relatively quickly turned into the standard for new BBC programming, which is pretty impressive, really.

The article goes on to discuss 14:9 and pan and scan very informatively.

According to a thread on boards.ie it seems TV3 is about to transmit in widescreen this year and there's a rumour of RTE moving to widescreen this year as well.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/s...ge=1&pp=20

(Posted by Round Cable - a response from TV3)
"TV3 SWITCHES TO WIDESCREEN

TV3 is pleased to announce that it will commence widescreen broadcasting in mid-2005. While the network has been capable of widescreen broadcasting since its inception in 1998 it is only recently that the amount of available widescreen programming has reached a level to make the service a consistent one
for the viewer.
..."

According to boards.ie, RTE has started broadcasting GAA in Widescreen as part of a general move to widescreen programming.

Part of a phased introduction of widescreen production
and transmission by RTÉ, the public service broadcaster
plans to have all RTÉ-originated and commissioned
material broadcast in widescreen by the year-end.

Back