widening existing gate - but it's the council's...

Sal

I started a new thread after reading similar posts. My situation is slightly different. I wish to widen the existing vehicular access to my house.

Here are the details:
I live at the end of a former council terrace (all houses now privately owned). There are brick pillars at my driveway in my front garden (built 1980s i think). Then there is a passageway just beyond this that runs along the entire terrace, essentially a walled walkway seperating our terrace from the road. This walkway has a pedestrian exit halfway up it, Directly in front of my house is a second (council owned) pillar/post vehicular entrance. It aligns with my driveway and this council owned one was obviously designed for acces to my house only: no other houses have driveways, just tiny front gardens, and it is definitely impossible to drive along the walkway, which is too narrow.
Now, i can take a car through the outer gates, aacross this walkway and straight through my own driveway gates - but only if i'm willing to scrape my car to bits... it's super narrow!
My question is this:
I know I need permission to widen my own gate. But do I have the right to ask to widen the council-owned one? I need one pillar to be moved about 2ft...but it's not my pillar. the kerb is already 'dipped' for access.
Also, this gate is within about 4m of a traffic light crossroad junction.

What are my chances?

Re: widening existing gate - but it's the councils...

Asking your local council would seem to be a good idea.

Hi BillK, thanks, yes, have inquired over the phone, but now would have to take the step of paying someone to make the application for me - don't feel confident giving it my best shot - and also paying for the application. Some people say not a hope given the junction, others say precedent is there, widening should be no bother. Just was hoping someone out there might have gone through it already.

Why not get the forms and have a look through them to see how difficult they are to complete; you could also ask the advice of the appropriate department of your local authority in how to fill them in. In my experience most people are delighted to have the opportunity to help others, especially if it allows them to demonstrate their superior knowledge.

Back