Why such a high quote for new windows?

car

Recently looking for windows (the double glazed type). Opened the golden pages and just started ringing to get companies to quote. Got 11 companies to come out.

I got all companies to quote on the same basic design, colour and basic alu double glazing. The best price was going to get the gig and then we'd finalise details after checking work/references etc.
Lowest was 6k, average was 9k, couple of companies were around the 11k mark which were the highest but just when we thought it couldnt get higher Global Windows came in with 18k.

The global sales guy gave me the big spiel about they do "this and that that noone else does", but other companies said the same (usual sales talk) so I cant see how they can justify the price they gave. Senator and fairco were around the 10k mark to put it in perspective. So does anyone know why Global would charge so much?

We decided to go with a company from the north who quoted 8k which is about 1500 less then several companies for the pilkington glass we were looking for. The company we went for are doing stainless steel supports and these superduper locks both of which Global said they do. We researched their work and where they get their glass and it all checks out.

edit: I did ask them why the quote was so high and ran over the details to make it was the right quote. Guy just said it was because they were the best. Yes they give long guarantees but so did the other companies, yes they use top materials, so do the other guys, theyre in business a long time, so are the other guys, they use these great locks, so do the other guys. I just dont see it.

Have had similar quotes Car and not really knowing what to expect, initially I was shocked.

You'll find Senator are expensive too. Most of these guys will argue the Bentley vs Daewoo point regarding price, or maybe more accurately, Lexus vs Toyota...or whatever.

You can still get (relatively speaking) good deals - Bowman in Banbridge are in this category - and are very professional from what I hear.

Global have been mentioned here a few times in the past, including this thread. Consensus is that they are very expensive. Why? They send out lots of glossy brochures and sell the deal to people who don't shop around.
Leo

Because it's a free market?
Ok, but if you were qoting for a job you must know the going rate for such a job. If you wanted the business youd quote competitively, if youre a little bit higher due to materials or whatever then fine and we can understand that. I just cant see how they could justify a 100% larger price then the average of 9k. Im wondering if Im missing something other then free market rules.

Ok, but if you were qoting for a job you must know the going rate for such a job. If you wanted the business youd quote competitively
Not necessarily. As per Leo's post some people may go for the most expensive quote that comes with the glossiest brochures and slickest sales people for a variety of reasons (inertia, FUD factor etc.) - even if they do get other lower quotes.

11 and 15 quotes - fair play to you both for shopping around anyway!

Comes with my profession im afraid, (quantity surveyor) Plus the windows are about 1/5 of my overall budget for this house so, will try to get value for money. it just goes to show though that shopping around is well worth it.

ok, I read the other threads, should have searched first. Just to tag on to this thread, we got the "sign tonight and we'll give you 10% off " line as well, that was before he gave me the quote. This was despite me telling the guy when he got there we wouldnt be making a decision until all quotes were back in. He was visibly disgusted with this, mrs Car was out at the the time as well and he didnt even want to give the sales pitch unless the 2 of us were there. He was trying to angle to come back when we both were there, after reading the other threads here I now know why.

there is a huge spectrum out there when it comes to windows...

basically you get what you pay for....

what you need to work out is prices versus quality....

Hi

can you provide the names of the window companies you got quotes off (besides Global ) or found good...still looking for quotes myself

Thanks
S

Hi car. A few points from above. I once had the delightful experience of being a carsalesman and I smiled when I thought back on what we had to do for a sale and the talks we used to get from our manager. The 10% off if you sign tonight is standard sales talk. The salesperson knows that unless he closes the sale on the spot, there is a much less chance of you closing tomorrow or after you've had a competitor quote or call to you. The reason he wanted Mrs. Car there was to stop you saying you'd have to run it by her after he made his pitch. All customers say they are not making a decision today. It's the standard defense against the overzealous salesman. If he told you they'd do the job for 4k but only if you signed now I'd bet you'd make a decison there and then. So it is down to money. Finally you seem to think it incredible that they could quote so high. All customers are different and few so thorough as you I'd bet. They lost you but there are others who'll buy all the sales pitch, discounts for on the spot decisons etc. Global prob have a high margin low turnover business and obviously they feel it works well for them.

Another factor (in commercial tenders anyway), although probably not in this case is that a company may give an inflated price knowing that: (a) the aren't interested in winning the bid anyway (b) they're too busy to do the work but don't want to turn it away either. I've regularly priced commercial windows and curtain walling, the variance in pricing is pretty interesting at times- often you'll find competitors neck and neck and there's always an outsider who's miles off course. Many times the lowest tenderer has withdrawn their bid when they found out they were successful too. As for PVC windows there are definitely different levels of quality available but none (that I'm aware of) that could justify the excessive margins being quoted here.

Global do have to pay for all the TV adverts they have. I have tendered large construction projects in dublin and on various occasions one window manufacturer could be €1,500 dearer than another per apartment. there is alot of competition in windows and also the overheads for various companies are totally different with some working out of a small warehouse and others large industrial units.

Global prob have a high margin low turnover business and obviously they feel it works well for them.
If thats the only reason the quote was so high then fine.
I thought it may have been because their windows (+locks, guarantees, service etc) really were that much better for some reason that I havent had explained.

If he told you they'd do the job for 4k but only if you signed now I'd bet you'd make a decison there and then. So it is down to money.
if he quoted 4k to me Id be wondering what Id be getting for my money so no it not all about money. There were several quotes cheaper then the company we went for.

can you provide the names of the window companies you got quotes off (besides Global ) or found good...still looking for quotes myself
We picked [broken link removed]for the most competitive quote for the quality we wanted (ie pilkington glass, stainless steel supports), theyre the distributors. They have dealer/agents countrywide and theyll send the nearest guy out to you. If theres noone near you I'll pm you the dealers number that we got. Sure get a quote anyway.
Senator and Fairco were about 20% over the average and have a good name, I rang turkington windows who also have a very good name, they use the same materials as premier but like for like their quote was about 10% higher. I found all companies have large margins to play with so whoever you decide on using ask for a discount or use a buyers line and say "we'd like to go with you but you're about X over the company we're thinking of going for, can you match that quote?".

edit: Just remembered that free ads paper that comes with the herald had several ads in it during the week with companies advertising 25% discount for windows that are fitted in september. Amongst others I seen senator/fairco/donnellan in it. Obviously the busy time for them. Id get the quote from these guys and then ask them does that include the 25% off.

i posted on this ages ago about my parents quote from global 36 grand!!! 60's semi d in northside, dropped to 18 grabd after dad laughed and they kept ringing the following week asking why dad wasnt goint with them!!!

got them done for 14 and they look fab....

muffinb