Why not just put your SSIA in the bank?

gearoidmm

Maybe I'm just grumpy but I can't get my head around the way most people seem to view their SSIAs. They seem to consider it some kind of a windfall that need to be spent as quickly as possible. It's their own money that they have spent 5 long years saving. Fair enough, 20% of it was free money given by the government but the rest was all theirs. Why would you blow it all in one go?

It kind of reminds me of people 'releasing equity' as if this is some kind of free money also - it's a loan for God's sake, and it has to be payed back.

gearoidmm said:
Fair enough, 20% of it was free money given by the government but the rest was all theirs.

Best advice is to go buy a couple of front line properties in Kazakhstan if you ask me!!

gearoidmm said:
Maybe I'm just grumpy but I can't get my head around the way most people seem to view their SSIAs. They seem to consider it some kind of a windfall that need to be spent as quickly as possible.
Not most people according to some recent reports:

RTE Business - SSIA holders willing to keep saving
Irish Examiner - 2005/05/23: SSIA savers ‘plan to reinvest’ money
Irish Life and Permanent- Irish Life launches major research into ...
20% of it was free money given by the government
You mean 25%? And don't forget that for 42% taxpayers this simply meant that their effective income tax on their contributions was reduced to 17%.