Why Not Help Troubled Mortgage Owners If We Pay Out Millions On Rent Allowance?

Originally Posted by cashier http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=1161340#post1161340
Ireland had well near 200,000 people unemployed during the good times and yet nothing was done to encourage them to go out to work despite there being full employment. Instead our government encouraged the Eastern Europeans to come and do the work instead.

This is not true. Those 200K long term unemployed didn't want to work and there is nothing that the government could do to change that mindset. Lots of Irish people who otherwise would not have been working got jobs during the boom. The Eastern Europeans were not encouraged by the government, they came for a better life to a place where they could work, in general they took jobs that Irish people were not willing to do. Even in the last couple of months there was a queue of people for basic jobs, in Aldi I think in Dublin and most of them were non nationals.
You're both wrong. They were never 200K long term unemployed during the boom.

We currently have [broken link removed] which is a rate of 14.9%.

The lowest rate during the boom was 4.3%. Approximately 128K by just extrapolating those figures.

The number of those who would have been long unemployed would not have constituted more than 20% of that number. Full employment is deemed to be about 4/4.5% as there are always people between jobs/study for a period of time.

The vast majority of the people currently unemployed are those who worked in boom time industries.

Hi Brendan Interesting reading, I met with with bank on Thursday and they have provisionally agreed to extend the term of interest only for another 6 months i will find out for definitely in the next week. They say they dont think it will be refused as we have done everything they have asked us to do with regard to bringing down our debt with credit union and bills etc.

You're both wrong. They were never 200K long term unemployed during the boom.

The number of those who would have been long unemployed would not have constituted more than 20% of that number.

I just accepted Cashier's figures so apologies for that.

Back