Why is Row 6 on Aer Lingus always unavailable?

He said "just checked in online and got row 6" - when you check in, you get a seat for free. And while most people miss it, you can actually choose the seat freely at that point, also for free.

He said "just checked in online and got row 6" - when you check in, you get a seat for free. And while most people miss it, you can actually choose the seat freely at that point, also for free.

All the time I manage to get row six online when I check in online for LHR and return without any difficulty.... on return I then go to check-in and get row six shifted to nearer the door - so I can make a quick exit. Use to purchase seat in advance until I copped on!

I have booked flights with Aer Lingus but I have not chosen any seats. Can I log on to the website now and choose my seats and pay the fee or do I have to wait until just before my flight to do this? I am not travelling until April.

You can log in anytime and select seats at a fee. But why? Just wait until you checking in online and choose your seat for free. Sure, a few seats will have been taken by those who paid for them. But if you check in early, there will still be heaps of seats to choose from - at no charge.

Thanks Undo, I might just do that. Do you know how soon before my flight I can start choosing? Also can I print off my boarding cards and choose my seats for the return part of my journey at the same time that I print off my outward journey boarding cards?

I have mainly travelled with Ryanair over the past few years and I have become used to their way of doing things. Almost institutionalised I suppose.

Aer Lingus Online Checkin opens 30hrs before the flight departs - You can't checkin for your return flight at the same time (unless you're only on a day trip) - but no big deal... unlike Ryanair Aer Lingus don't charge you extra if you've not checked in on line etc.

Thanks for the info. So for the return flight I have to queue at the airport check in desk for Aer Lingus? Or find an internet cafe or similar to check in online?
Do other airports have the airport check in machines for Aer Lingus or is it only Dublin?

Yes some other airports do have the Aer Lingus "Fast Pass" machines ... but certainly not all - Heathrow and Gatwick certainly do ... Munich doesn't .. I can't recall much otherwise.

If they don't have those machines then yes you have to queue up and/or do it online at an internet cafe etc.

I had a row 6 seat this morning on the early Dub - LHR flight. I checked in yesterday afternoon online and selected row 6 as it was close to the exit. I wan't charged anything extra for this.
Although, I was the last to board and there was no room for my carry on case anywhere near my selected seat so I moved to row 12/13 which was an exit seat with plenty of legroom The air hostess said I could sit there so I did. There were 3 exit seats free - perhaps because they charge extra for these???

For my last 4 flights to/from LHR, I selected 6B or 6E, the middle seats on row 6 - and the only seats available on the first 6 rows.
However, when I checked in online yesterday morning for my flight this afternoon from LHR, I was automatically allocated an aisle seat on row 6
I prefer to sit as close as possible to the front of the plane so as to exit quicker on arrival.