Why is Printer not working

C

cullenswood

Hi,

Was over in the parents house last nite and they asked me to look at their printer as it didn't seem to be working. It is a HP Deskjet 3650 and is connected to a laptop via a USB cable. It was working last week but now it does not seem to be printing. It is fully connected to the PC and is plugged in, but when the print button is pressed it just queues the job up but it never actually prints it out.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Is there anything useful at the HP website?

[broken link removed]

If they're using Windows XP/2000 then it might be worth checking the Windows event log in case anything untoward is reported there. Was anything changed or installed on the PC between when it was working and when it stopped? Is the HP set as the default printer?

No, I dont think there would have been anything changed in the last week, and yes it is set as the default printer. Where would I check the Windows event log, and what would I be looking for?

See for assistance with using the Windows event viewer/log. Basically you want to look for error or warning events relating to the printer or print subsystem.

Some or all HP printers also support additional (non Windows) HP utility software, usually available for download from their website, which might be of use in relation to diagnosing printer problems. The Windows printer control panely may also allow you to enable logging/error reporting to get more information on why printing is not happening.

Has the paper size been changed (e.g. from A4 to Legal)?

Sounds like it might be the driver
Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling with the existing driver or search internet and get a fresh copy-Has the laptop always used this printer was it used witha nother pc before

Back