Why is online banking within same bank so slow?

RMCF

I've ranted about this before, but I bank with BoI and their online service 365Online.

I have my current account and my credit card both registered with them. I can make payments from the CA to my credit card. But why does it take so long when all this is electronic and within the BoI here. Its not like it has to wait to get verification that the funds are ok. They should know they are.

I made a transfer of money from my current account on 19th Nov afternoon, and it still isn't credited to my CC account !!

Absolute joke.

Re: Why is online banking within same bank so ******* slow?

Yep - I have the same gripe..... CC & Laser deductions are instant yet paying your CC from your BOI account takes a few days. Just to add annoyance.....
- make a payment from you current account on a Friday & it deducts from your account immediately
- it might not be until a the following Mon or Tue that this shows up in the CC account.
- Then the current account transaction date changes to show that it only happened on the Mon or Tue
So the money goes into limbo for a few days.

BoI online always managed to pay Amex blue immediately.

It takes 4/5 banking days for other credit cards.

Marion

BoI online always managed to pay Amex blue immediately.

It takes 4/5 banking days for other credit cards.

Marion

but thats my point - why does it?

Especially as I am transferring money from a BoI current account to a BoI credit card. Its all electronic and within the BoI business, so surely the simple coding rule should be:

"Hes trying to move £x from his account to his card. Has he got £x in his current account? Yes he does, then deduct £x from his current balance and also his credit card balance".

Its not rocket science.

Perhaps a bank worker could explain why it take 4 or 5 days?

Apologies Marion it wasn't a dig at you. More BoI.

I had checked at around 10pm and still not credited, but just checked again there at 2am and it is now.

So it took from approx 2pm on 19th Nov to approx 2am on 24th Nov to move money electronically from one BoI account to another.

How did we ever survive before we had all this flashy technology?

I seem to recall a similar rant on another thread, and it was explained that current account data and credit card account data are on different platforms, meaning there's some computer batch work involved in transferring the funds.

But I'm with you - it's frustrating to see the money fly out of your current account and take forever to land in your credit card account!

It has always shown up next working day when I have done it.

To add to this problem I have with BoI, I called in the am 4 days ago to cancel my credit card with them.

Was told that someone from 'Closures' would get back to me by end of business probably today and at latest tomorrow. When 5pm came the following day and I had heard nothing, I called them and told them the story. Again was told someone would call be back as for some strange reason I couldn't speak to them there and then.

By 5pm the following day, again no call, so I called them again. Told exactly the same thing.

So on the 4th day I called and asked why all the hassle getting my account closed? Luckily the person I spoke to this time said he knew the girl doing 'closures' that day and would get her to call me back in 10mins. In fairness she did, and all she asked me was why I was closing my account. I told her the card was clear and I didn't want it any more - she said ok I'll close your account now and confirm it in a letter. And that was it done.

15secs of a chat that I waited 4 days to get sorted. Who says the banks are ineffecient?

I made a payment, using 365 Online, from my BoI current account to my BoI Mastercard on Monday 23 Nov. The credit card payment is dated 23 NOV.

Current
23 NOV 2009 365 Online BOI MASTE 368.65

Mastercard
23 NOV 2009 RETAIL PAYMENT -368.65

A payment to a BoI Mastercard, initiated using 365 Online/Phone before 5pm on Day1, will (all other things being equal) hit the CC provider on Day2. After 5pm, it will hit on Day3.

Anything else is highly unusual & should be queried with the bank.
Dayn can only be a working day (no weekends, bank or public holidays).

The same would not apply for non-BoI CCs.

You can bash the banks all you want (In this day and age, surely ...) but once you know about the cut-offs, processing days, etc., you can ensure your payment gets to your credit card with the least delay.