Why is my 14" portable crisper than plasmas?

Parker

It might be just me but im at the stage now where ive succumbed to the lure of a plasma/LCD.....BUT......every lcd/plasma i have ever seen in a shop has a hazy picture..I dont know anyone with a plasma so cant put this down to multiple interferences/frequencies within did/dixons etc.....Are the pictures really this bad , if so why dont I just buy a large flat screen normal telly ??????(excuse my abscence of knowledge as to what a normal telly is called)

Parker said:
why dont I just buy a large flat screen normal telly ??????(excuse my abscence of knowledge as to what a normal telly is called)

The regular TV's are called CRT (Cathode Ray Tube). there is no reason why you should not buy one of these if you do not like the picture quality of LCD/Plasma. CRT are also significantly cheaper.

Just becase the ad-men convince try to convince you that you need a LCD/plasma, does not mean that you really need one

soy said:
....does not mean that you really need one

While a lot of people do purchase LCD/Plasma screens simply for the gadgetry and bragging rights they do provide a purpose in providing a TV where space is limited or a traditional CRT set of the same size would not be feasible.

If you have room for a CRT set then yes, of course, enjoy the savings and the excellent picture quality!

As for the "why?", if you check out the key posts (and follow a few of the links contained within) and investigate the details of Plasma Vs LCD Vs CRT you'll get all the technical facts you can handle on the topic.

Consider video projectors, especially if you're only going to watch films mainly and have the projection space.

I only ever watch DVDs and find it's great. No TV licence to pay either.

The picture quality is always going to degrade the larger the screen you use. The source is still going to produce the same amount of noise, and as the screen gets larger, this becomes more obvious.

When you look at an LCD or plasma in a shop, how far back from the screen are you? You should view them from the same distance and angle that you will be watching them from at home to judge the pq. Also, LCDs and plasmas are shipped in showroom mode, with cntrast and brightness settings maxed to compete with the bright shop lighting, these are far from ideal conditions to judge a TV by.

I recently bought a 42" plasma to replace a 28" CRT. The reason I went plasma is that I wanted a big screen, I watch a lot of movies and you can't beat watching them on a large wisescreen. CRTs above 32" are rare, some manufacturers have stopped making them altogether.
Leo

I've had a 32" CRT for the last 5 years or so and not one of the same size LCD/Plasma TV's I've looked at in shops comes close in terms of picture quality, and I've looked at lots! They don't even save space and most end up at an angle in a corner, unless you hang them on the wall for that lovely pub look.

Buy a CRT, get better picture quality and save youself some money.

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the replies , I presume that is a point to consider that the display plasmas are maxed out on there contrast/colour settings...and yes I was close to them when looking (about 3-4 feet).....regarding the space saving issue of a plasma/LCD I dont fancy hanging one on a wall as then I would have to re-shuffle the furniture to suit the telly......but it does look nice stuck on a wall......I watch a lot of telly and a projector wouldnt suit but I agree would be great for a home cinema...Ill be looking around for another while to find one im happy with etc...but for picture quality I cant find better than CRT

The "haziness" is probably due to the image source not being high-def. If you feed a 32" or bigger plasma or CRT a decent high-def image, it will look very sharp.

If you feed the same image to a Standard Definition CRT of any size, it will look... like Standard Definition.

With Plasmas and CRT you are investing in the future.

(This is not to knock small TVs or CRTs in particular, just to address your comparison.)

The newer screens are only giving a sharp contrast when looking at them at a 90 degrees angle. So the larger they are the less sharp the picture seems to be. This might be handy when security is a priority (banking machines) but with the ordinary TV screen it means no gain in point of sharpness. Try the smaller screens or get a bigger living room.

However it looks like [broken link removed], not sure if it will be available in Ireland but it will be in the UK so I'm sure you could probably get it from Richer Sounds or the likes in Belfast.

I have been considering what TV to go for myself and was leaning towards plasma but while the Standard Definition ones have come to within my comfort zone on price the HD Ready ones are still very pricey. The Samsung will apparently be keenly priced with expectations of GBP350 making it the cheapest HD option at 32". Its tempting though the 32" size versus the 42" which seems to be the typical plasma size is a bit of a drawback.

HD ready TVs are sold on the continent since about two years, Aldi had them al"ready" (pun intented).
You can get a small number of stations transmitting in HD technology on Astra satellite.

heinbloed said:
HD ready TVs are sold on the continent since about two years, Aldi had them al"ready" (pun intented).
You can get a small number of stations transmitting in HD technology on Astra satellite.

Is that CRT HD Ready ones for that long? I have never come accross any other CRT HD Ready TV's available for sale in Europe (just LCD and Plasma) so I thought they were somewhat of a rarity or non-existent though I have seen them for sale in the US.

Sorry, dam099, I missed the bit about "CRT" . I tried your link but couldn't get through. HD ready TV sets are available since the "Internationale Funkaustellung Berlin 2003" (international radio fare) -Samsung!- , but are only catching ground since this year, I suppose that is because of the football worldcup. There is Premiere TV on Astra satelite that has one or two channels transmitting sporadic HD programms and as well ARD (a German station) and another Spanish channel as well -as far as I understand.The Dutch are heavily investing in it as well. Excuse my ignorance-what is the meaning of " CRT " ?

CRT sets are the traditional old type of TV with tubes.

I cant get through to the other link either any more try this one.

Sorry, I have no infos about CRT-TVs which are hd-ready.

if mounting a large screen on a wall, ensure that the top of the screen is about or juts above your eye level when seated, or else you will get a sore neck.