Why have all the estimates recently been so far wide of the mark?

What planet are you on Complainer?
Here’s a Scenario, You are off on your holiday, you thought of everything in your luggage, you have your passport, you thought on to print out your boarding pass before you left home etc, but you forgot to pay for a toll charge to get to the airport. This is the last thing on your mind in the airport, you must check in for your flight. When you get home 2 weeks later your €3 toll charge has increased massively, I am not familiar with the charges but the law allows them to increase to over €100.

Honestly, I've no sympathy. You have plenty of time while waiting at the gate to phone up and make a payment. I don't like toll charges, but given that we have them, the one thing I like less is those who try to weasel out of the charges that every one else pays.

..but you forgot to pay for a toll charge to get to the airport.

Get a toll tag ? In addition to the convenience there's the smug satisfaction of going through the toll gate at 40mph, getting ahead of all the boy racers who have overtaken you in the preceding 3 miles

So what's the point? That anybody who has a good sob story shouldn't have to pay?

It looks like all the dirty capitalists on this site are rubbing off on you.
I can see that post being quoted more than once!

I agree with Complainer and others. Why bother having a charge if there isnt a mechanism to punish those who try to get away with paying this charge.

There are plenty of notices on the M50 about paying the toll before 8pm the next day. Some people ignore them, some forget about them. Its tough luck really. Either pay on time, or register your car with them and they deduct the fee from your Laser or Credit card, or get a tag.

For the M50 toll (I'm not sure about others), if you do forget to pay within the specified time period, so long as you set up an account (even a video account), they will generally reduce the charge back down to the original toll.
Leo

Why would I set up an account, I live in Cork and have never used it?
The point I am making is how a €3 charge can end up about €100.
What is a toll tag?
Why can they not simply have one lane for cash? You cannot get away with that

Why can you not simply phone the number that's plastered all over the signs and make the payment? Or drop into a shop (such as the one at the airport that accepts payments)?

I cannot phone when I am driving, As I said previously, all you are concerned about is catching a flight when in the airport

Why would I set up an account, I live in Cork and have never used it?

Living in Cork has many drawbacks but you are allowed to own a toll tag . And there is at least one toll road in Cork. I know cos I've driven it.

The point I am making is how a €3 charge can end up about €100.

It's called carelessness

What is a toll tag?

A small device that can be positioned on your windscreen, behind the rear view mirror.

They had many lanes for cash on the M50. It was a nightmare.

I cannot phone when I am driving, As I said previously, all you are concerned about is catching a flight when in the airport

Try calling when you get to the airport, or while you're waiting at the gate, or while you're sitting in your seat waiting for everyone else to sit down, or when you land at your destination. Or just leave earlier to avoid a rush.

It's easy.