Why doesn't Ireland celebreate an independence day

"Yes we are, the celtic cubs are not as entrenched in old Irish politics as prior generations. ..." The celtic cubs may certainly not be so entrenched in their views but many others in Ireland may not be so enlightened.

"Not proud to be Irish and Independant - can you personaly name some one who is Irish and who is not proud to be so???" I am not questioning the fact that people are proud to be Irish, I am simply saying that many would see the day as an excuse for a day in the pub.

Many would, but many wouldn't...it's called a choice. It would be nice to recognise it though

eh, because it would serve no purpose only to give the govt another reason to ban drinking as we would all no doubt be falling down in the streets as if it was the last chance we had to have a sup!

, my grandfather fought for independence, so why do we not celebrate our independence?????

So did mine but they never spoke about it or told me about it until very recently.

can you personaly name some one who is Irish and who is not proud to be so???

A thinking man might reply with the name of Ian Paisley. Being born on the island of Ireland he qualifies under our constitution for citizenship.

A thinking man might reply with the name of Ian Paisley. Being born on the island of Ireland he qualifies under our constitution for citizenship.

good one there Sign

There are many Irish people living round the world who are not proud to be Irish and that's why they left Ireland. I met a good few of them while travelling. Never figured out what their problem is though.

There are many Irish people living round the world who are not proud to be Irish and that's why they left Ireland. I met a good few of them while travelling. Never figured out what their problem is though.

Maybe they are not proud of the choices given to many young people to either become burdened with a 100% intergenerational mortgage for 40 years or emigrating and actually being able to afford a lifestyle ?

Maybe they are gay and aren't proud of the fact that (expressions of) homosexuality was a criminal offence until about 1992. Maybe they were abused as children by men of the cloth in state run institutions and aren't proud of a state that did little to protect them. Maybe they dislike the direction society has taken, and aren't proud of what they see as a very materialistic nation. Loads of possibilities really.

As to the original question, should we celebrate independance day? IMHO no. The goal of most people who agitated in westminster, or fought in armed campaigns, was for an independant state consisting of the whole island of Ireland. This was not acheived.

We in the 26 counties now live in a state that is an independant Republic. Fortunatly we have made our peace with our fellow Irishmen and women in the province of Northern Ireland. And the people of Northern Ireland seem to have made their peace with each other.

I am proud to be Irish and think that some sort of celebration for either the state (ROI) or the island and what it has acheived could be a good thing. However I would not see the point in celebrating "independance".

There are also some in that situation who haven't left!