Why does my immersion element keep blowing?

misterbarlow

For the 4th time in a year now I have no hot water.
The element in the immersion tank has blown again.
I keep replacing the element and it seems to give up on us after about 3-4 months. Its not even on that much, on a timer to only come in the eves between 4-7 to heat it for the babies bath and for washing up after tea, and its not set too high, only 60c!
All connections etc are ok, supply to the element is always fine, when I remove the old one there is always a piece missing where its popped.

I have tried single and dual water type elements and both blow!
Anyone got any ideas why this keeps happening??

Thanks.

Re: Whys does my immersion element keep blowing?

Could be a couple of reasons....

Have you lime in the water?
Is the supply cable the correct cable?

There is a lot of white all over the element when I change it. Does that suggest lime?? The last one I bought said was good for hard or soft water so assumed this would be ok?

As far as I know the supply cable is fine.
The first time it went was the first time in about 10yrs, so wasnt too bothered, nothing lasts forever. But since I changed it its gone 3 times since and now again this wknd.

Need more info;

1. Has it been same plumber/electrician each time?
2. Has it been physically "blown" in the same area on the same element leg each time?
3. If so, is this area close to connections end?
4. What does the immersion tank feed? Are there any pumps connected to it?

1. My brother in law is a plumber, it was him who fitted the new tank and element last year but I wired it in, since then when its gone I have always changed it myself.
I work for the local electricity company and although not a fully trained electrician I am trained to the companies standards so know what I am doing etc and have all the test gear and tools top ensure everything is done right.

2. The type I have been buying is like this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/misterbarlow/p2416811_x.jpg

Its a 27" element, and I have a 117ltr 900mm deep tank.
They are always blown on the looped element.

3. No usually quite near to the bottom or the loop up area.

4. The tank only feeds the 3 taps for hot water to bathroom sink, bath, and kitchen. We dont have CH only electric storage heating.
There are no pumps, its gravity fed from cold feeder tank above, and outlets from the top by pressure when full to the 3 taps.

First post:
For the 4th time in a year now I have no hot water.

Last post:
it was him who fitted the new tank and element last year

No a guard, but.......

1. Is it possible that the lower point on element curve is hitting off heat-exchanger coil and creating a hot-spot on element?

2. Verify your voltage and element rating. If the voltage is for any reason (very bad connection, supply issues etc), the current/strain through element would be much higher.