Why do I bother to recycle?

bond-007

We have a business, so we have 2 large bins a green bin for general waste and a blue bin for recycling and paper. So every week we dutiful sort our recycling, wash out bottles and fold cardboard and place into the recycling bin.
Just lately it has come to my attention, that on recycle day which is every other week which was last Monday. The bin lorry arrives and proceeds to empty BOTH our bins. The bin lorry does not have separate sections for recycling and general waste.

Is this legal, ethical and who should I complain to?

Has anyone else noticed similar carry-on?

I'd be starting by asking the company who are collecting the bins ?:rolleyes:

Recycling is probably futile.

Even if your waste was recycled, your efforts will probably be in vain because of world population growth.

Same here. I have to go to the side of my apartment building into a yard to throw away mine.
I separate everything before I go down and put the proper waste in the proper bins and then they come and collect everything in one go.

But I'd be afraid to not do it that way in case the management company gets on my case for not doing it properly.

Even as a general observation why do the waste companies need to have the general waste as green and the recycling waste as blue.?????????????

Shows a wee bit of clarity for the customers.:confused:

We have a business, so we have 2 large bins a green bin for general waste and a blue bin for recycling and paper. So every week we dutiful sort our recycling, wash out bottles and fold cardboard and place into the recycling bin.
Just lately it has come to my attention, that on recycle day which is every other week which was last Monday. The bin lorry arrives and proceeds to empty BOTH our bins. The bin lorry does not have separate sections for recycling and general waste.

Is this legal, ethical and who should I complain to?

Has anyone else noticed similar carry-on?

On our collection days the two bins are collected by two different trucks on different days.
Could it be that you are special?

I have complained to the company concerned. The way it works for me is that they charge for each general waste collection and the recycling is free. The bins should be emptied every other Monday. General waste one week, recycling the next. On the general waste day they only take the green general waste bin which is correct but on the recycling day they were taking both. Nett result is that the general waste bin was being emptied every week and worse they were charging me too. If I don't leave the green bin out I don't get charged.

Their response was that it should not have been happening. I then complained about all the charges. I was told I would be credited, I shall not hold my breath on that.

Even as a general observation why do the waste companies need to have the general waste as green and the recycling waste as blue.?????????????

Shows a wee bit of clarity for the customers.:confused:

For what its worth - in the Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown area a black bin is provided for general waste and a green bin for recycling.

I bother because its saves me €€'s. My Household - 2A & 3C - got rid of the annual bin charge over a year ago (cost was ~ €380 P.A.) - use the local re-cycling centre €3.00 a car load every 3 weeks approx + pre-paid rubbish sacks €10.00 every 4 Weeks or so. The majority of waste food either goes into the composter or the dog!

Back