Why can't you wash kids' stuffed toys?

Toby

Maybe not quite relevant to here? but does anyone know why so many kids toys say "surface wash only"?

Is there anything risky about washing them at a low temp - like is there a health risk?

Thanks!

i would imagine that the only effect would be the stuffing would go all lumpy and ball in certain parts, hence ruining the toy and leaving it weird looking.
like machine washing a duvet.

The toy will last longer if you handwash it at low temperature with a gentle detergent, I think machinewashing is just too hard on them and they tend to disintegrate after a few washes

OK thanks, had heard something about them getting mouldy and dangerous for kids to breath through or something so was wary of that but prob not much truth to it.

My daughter has a stuffed toy who is the centre of her universe - obviously I am a very bad mother. Anyway, it has one of those "surface wash only" labels, so I was afraid to put it in the washing machine. However, in desperation due to extreme grubbiness and whiffiness, I stuck it in a pillowcase and put it on a gentle cool wash, followed by a gentle tumble drying. Results - perfect. I think you just need to be careful about too much heat because of the stuffing.

Pillow case is a good idea - there just comes a time when something has to be done about the dirt!