Why cant the government reduce salaries of all overpaid in public office?

The unions guys keep saying that laying off staff from the public sector will take money out of the economy etc etc but this is borrowed money.
I sometimes find myself laughing out loud when I hear the Bearded Brethren pontificate about economics. They clearly know better but choose to ignore reality and spout their disingenuous pinko drivel in order to further their defunct ideology, despite the fact that they are fully aware that what they propose will damage the interests of their members and the public in general.

Or maybe they are just morons...

The public sector has already lost many, many contract staff. As contracts expire, they are not being renewed.

Also, all those taking early retirement and anyone leaving in future, for whatever reason, will not be replaced. Seven people in my immediate area have left or are about to leave and will not be replaced.

Also, all those taking early retirement and anyone leaving in future, for whatever reason, will not be replaced. Seven people in my immediate area have left or are about to leave and will not be replaced.

You would think that this logic of 'natural wastage' would be put out there more often together with the likely economic impact. Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear about this as a defense against cutbacks very much - or at least not in association with any reasonable figures anyway.