Why can't I play .wmv files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caveat

I get a pop-up telling me to connect to the net but I am connected.

Just got mobile BB so maybe it's a settings issue (in that it's my previous dial up which I am prompted to connect to) but I'm a bit PC illiterate.

I googled the 'problem' which advised that windows media Player 11 (which I downloaded) will support these files but no difference.

Can anyone help?

What browser are you using? I recently had to view some wmv files and I had to get a plugin to do so.

Hi - I'm using Firefox. Maybe that is a problem since IE seems to be the preferred Microsoft browser? I've no idea TBH, just guessing.

From your description it sounds like you're trying to play .wmv files hosted on a website as opposed to on your PC.

When you click on the file on the website you normally see a popup asking you what to do - tell it to play using the default and dee what it brings up, failing that tell it to use wmplayer - see directions for locating it below.

If this doesn't work, in Firefox, go into Tool>Options>Applications

wmv files should come up somewhere - if not just tell each video file type to use wmplayer.exe.

Its location in the root directory, which in Windows machines is C.

Open the search dialogue a search and when it brings up the locations scroll down and you'll see the "browse" option listed at the bottom.

Normally one or the other method outlined above should sort it out.

HTH

ONQ.

From your description it sounds like you're trying to play .wmv files hosted on a website as opposed to on your PC.

Yes.

When you click on the file on the website you normally see a popup asking you what to do - tell it to play using the default and dee what it brings up, failing that tell it to use wmplayer - see directions for locating it below.

I was expecting something like this alright but I just get WM player telling me that it can't play it. I have VLC media player too - which I'm advised is a good all rounder. In explorer I changed the settings for .wmv file extensions to use VLC as the default to open the files but it hasn't made any difference.

I haven't approached it this way - I'll have a look tonight, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.