Why are the schools closed on Friday 18th March?

JP1234

It seems all the schools in town are closed this Friday. no reason given. As far as I am aware Friday is a normal working day and all other businesses/offices ( public and private sector) are open as normal, so why can schools chose to close? At my son's school they have already lost 10 school days this year due to snow which there is no hope of being made up.

Is this a national thing or can each school just decide to close for no particular reason?

Its time to start another anti teacher rant. It will keep us going until the Spanish students arrive

Its time to start another anti teacher rant. It will keep us going until the Spanish students arrive

For the record, I don't believe I have ever gone on an anti teacher rant and I have no interest in starting one now. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't turn into that! I generally couldn't care less about how long/short the school holidays are but Friday is supposed to be a normal working day and I just can't understand why the school boards have decided to close. My son is doing his LC in June so I am slightly more anxious about him missing days, particularly after missing 2 weeks in January.

And yes, I will be contacting the school on Monday to ask why and if they day is going to be caught up.

I'd say that even if you ring the school, you'll more than likely find that taking the Friday off is already factored in to be included in the number of open days which the school is obliged to keep to. Most schools have this day off this year, I've 3 kids in 3 different schools and they've all included it in their school year. I've one kid in LC and one in JC and they are both going to into school tomorrow for supervised study. Neither of these schools closed for the snow so its not as if its a make up day, the school just does this to help out the kids. My son's JC french teacher is also giving extra classes at lunch time for the last few weeks for whoever wants them and the LC higher maths is also doing the same. Obviously not all schools do this, but I'm certainly more than happy with the way my kids' schools operate.

I think its based on the lines of cost, opening for one day after a holiday is deemed not worthwhile and probably quite a few of abstentions etc etc so ... keep closed and re-open on a Monday, refreshed and ready to go. Next year it is a Friday! and 2 years following sat and sun. It evens itself out in the end.

happy days

n--

I checked the school calender we are given at the start of the year and it is not marked off as closed, it seems like most schools countrywide are off today and perhaps they just decided to follow suit.

Mind you, judging by the amount of school age teenagers staggering round town yesterday evening it's probably no bad thing they are shut!

It seems all the schools in town are closed this Friday. no reason given. As far as I am aware Friday is a normal working day and all other businesses/offices ( public and private sector) are open as normal, so why can schools chose to close?

Well, they are meant to be the best days of your life :p

The LC is a tough gig alright for everyone in the house. If you have the funds you should arrange for a nice weekend away at the end of June for you & your other half.

Back