Why are hotels in Barcelona so dear?

BlueSpud

I always heard that barca was a cheap place to go to but the hotels are as expensive as Dublin.

What dates are you looking at ? - Barcelona has big conferences sometimes (there's a large trade fair area at the western end of the town entre - around Plaza Espanya (?) .. If something big is on that might push hotel prices up ... but in general I would have said Barcelona hotel prices wouldn't be too bad.

We paid €80 for a double here last year, and got the third night for free, bringing the average cost per night down to €53. Not bad for a 4****?
Reviews and more [broken link removed].

There are 3 Hiltons in Barca. One is beside a conference centre, about 5km from Ramblas. If there is no conference on, it is quiet. Also, check that there is no big footie game on. This Hilton is well served by public transport and cabs are reasonable too. Check out www.hilton.com

Hi

I have booked a beach apartment on barcelona30.com good site and cheap.

We paid €80 for a double here last year, and got the third night for free, bringing the average cost per night down to €53. Not bad for a 4****?
Reviews and more [broken link removed].

Looked at the website but could not see how to get the 3 for 2. I clicked on the "Flexible Stay" best deal button, but the cheapest I could get was 80/night, for 3 nights, = 240..

We stayed in Hostal Opera a couple of years ago. Its just off la rambla. Basic, but clean and comfortable.

[broken link removed]

tripadvisor.com? You can search for hotels for under €75. You're right though, hotels are pricey enough in Barcelona. It's fab though.

I stayed in the B Hotel the time before last - it was spendy enough (special occasion) but really nice.

Sprite

Looked at the website but could not see how to get the 3 for 2. I clicked on the "Flexible Stay" best deal button, but the cheapest I could get was 80/night, for 3 nights, = 240..

Blue Spud - don't think that 80 quid per night is expensive at all - sure you'd struggle to find a B&B anywhere in Ireland for less than €30/€40 per person per night so a good hotel in a popular city like Barca - well worth it - plus once you get there, if you stay away from eating and drinking on the likes of Las ramblas, everything is a fraction of Irish prices....

There are some self-catering apartments available for short-term rental - rates are generally cheaper than a hotel, and give you more space and flexibility.