Why am I been encouraged to use Kingsapan insulation on the insode of external walls?

NOAH

Help! I am getting an old bungalow re-furbished, god help me, but I have started so I will finish. I am slowly beconing an expert on things building(not really) but one thing that defeats me is this liking for sticking kingspan insulation on the inside of the external walls.

I now know the cavities are only 2 inches and when I fill them with those beads I wont get a lot of benefit. I am advised by my builder and plumber that I should go for this Kingspan insualtion stuff and pt it on the inside of the external walls. However, I have my doubts because I have read all the other posts and I want to have solid walls for nailing stuff. I also have 2 large windows in LR and one large in DR so amount of insualtion will be small. The quote is 4,000 euro for the whole lot. Now my plumber says all houses will be assessed for e vaues in the future and if I dont have this insulation my house will fail.

Do I need this jumper or no? My fear is that it throws up problems down the road and givse me more grief than it is worth. I intend to put in a good ch sytem solo rads etc.

Help

noah

It will most likely throw up problems in the future, namely damp patches at the corners where internal wall meets external wall as well as at the floor area and as well on lintels and sills. Go for external insulation, if this is not viable fill the walls with beads or other insulation material and put an aerated cladding on the outer walls to keep them dry.
A plumber might have some experience in the building trade, but better ask a civil engeneer how to calculate an " e-value" (the energy demand of the structure. The SEI home page will give some hints, but as it seems at the moment there is still no sign of an agreement at the departments how to do the energy audit of a home. I fear the worst, i.e. just collecting and showing the old energy bills.
For insulation advise check the previous posts on the issue.

thanks for quick reply. I am going to go with your advice and not have that kingspan stuff.

noah

Well, you can use kingspan (PU foam ) on the outside of the building as well, provided it is well covered against UV light. A very thinn plaster - rolled onto the insulation- would not be sufficient without an under coating protecting the foam against light. The Al- foil at the kingspan sheets might be sufficient, but contact the manufacturer about details like sticking plaster to it. When going for external insulation it is the the easiest way for the novice to use a "system" ready for use. Meaning the suitable glue, the suitable insulation material and the suitable finish/plaster from one company/supplier who knows on what sort of wall it it would be used.This ensemble should guarantee against any pitfalls. If it fails you still have a come-back to get compensation or better advise. The made-to-fit jacket is about the best you can get for your wall and would help to keep up the breathability of the wall, it's ability to let out moisture which might get into it.

Back