whoops.. plaster came off with tiles

positivenote

Hey all, spent the day removing tiles from a bathroom and ensuite. A fair few of the tiles came away no problem although the majority came away stuck to the plasterboard... this has resulted in holes raning from 4in to 25in in diamater. We have a plumber coming in on sat and a tiler early next week. Should i get a plasterer in or should i have a go at it myself. If anyone has any advice or links on how to DIY this it would be great help.
Thanks

We had tiles taken off as well and left some holes but nothing as large as you mention. The tiler was able to work around them.

IMHO it would be best if you gave the tiler a ring tomorrow and explain what has happened and see what he thinks. Best to clear it with him first rather than possibly make the situation worse.

[broken link removed] ready-to-roll plaster might be an option but it would most likely not have dried out by next week.

When you say the tiler was able to work around them - do you mean he didnt tile that section

i would suggest you take out the plasterboards and replace them they do not cost to much they would then just need skimmed and then tile away
drying out take a just takes a day or two

don't think you'd need to bother skimming the plasterboard if tiling on it....but you might need different adhesive.

exact same thing happened to me - but I was doing the tiling meself. I just cut out the damaged plasterboard, replace with new and tile over as normal.

In this situation I would just remove the whole board and replace it with a new one. If the wall is part of a shower cubicle then use the gypsum green moisture board, otherwise just use a regular plaster board. The type of adhesive should not matter in any case.

thanks folks, i was hoping that thats all that i would need to do. Just to clarify do i need to get a special type of plasterboard if im tiling a shower cubicle or around a bath?

Megan said:
When you say the tiler was able to work around them - do you mean he didnt tile that section

External concrete wall and the holes left by removing the tiles were quite small.