who to go to for broadband!

Lorraine

Telephone calls and unlimited dial up access are with UTVip at the moment. We signed up (for 12 months) to their talktime deal. Am assuming that we can get out of the monthly fee for the unlimited access as we've been with them over two years for that. Want to go down the broad band route and have a land line anyhow, had Eircom on the phone at 9.30 last night (i hate those calls) asking me why we changed our rental/calls etc., UTV haven't taken up the line rental yet though it seems months ago I signed for them to do it. Anyhow who would be recommended as a good but reliable deal for broadband at the moment, usually used internet at night time - after 6pm though not always, have college students in the house so usage is pretty heavy, well over 20 hours monthly anyhow.

Thanks in anticipation . . .

Have you read the many other threads about selecting a broadband package in this forum which include links to useful resources on the issue?

hi i just got eircom broadband the 30 e a month package as i would use it quite a bit during the day. i just got it set up to night i got real p***** of with the normal connection. my boyfriend is telling me that there is also some way you can make phonecalls thru the broadband so u wont be running up a phone bill. it would be great if thats tru. my fone bill is nearly 350 every 2months its ridiculas. i also had the free trial with bt for 3 months. maybe u could get that first and see if u would use it enuff in the month to get a permanant one. i tink there 35e a month. eircom also do a 19.99 for 20hrs a month hop this helps

blueshoes said:
my boyfriend is telling me that there is also some way you can make phonecalls thru the broadband so u wont be running up a phone bill. it would be great if thats tru.

Yes this is VOIP - voice over internet protocol
www.skype.com

or google's gmail also offers this service.

Haven't used either because can't get broadband.

You can get a phone that you can plug into the back of the computer too. An example of a phone that I'm looking into is the Siemens Gigaset S440 with the m34 usb adaptor. it'll act as a normal cordless phone but is VOIP compatible.

Just saw it in the 3G shop booklet but don't have the price...if it costs a fortune or doesn't do what it says it does I'll look at something else.

Have you looked at any of the Eircom talktime packages...flat rate national calls etc. Think ESAT BT and other providers have something similar options.

How are you finding your new broadband package? You getting good upload and download speeds?

hi aka, tanx for that i am going to look up that web address now. and yeah i am finding the broadband brilliant, it is so quick compared to what i was used to, it is wireless to jusr some black thing sits in hallway beside fone, and a little thing in front of tower like a memory stick. tanx for the info

I've finally got Broadband at home thanks to BT Ireland! Too early to comment on the quality of the service yet but I will give a critical account of same before the new year.

signed up to bt on Thursday. Bit I dont understand was where they invited you to register with them ( after you have signed up they assign you a customer number) giving your customer number etc. Also ask for your email address. During the sign up you are also asked for you email address for billing purposes. I currently have pigsback as my isp so when I do finally hook up with BT won't my email address change? Previously I was dial up with indigogofree but the minute I changed to Piggy indigo cut of my indigo email address. So I assume the minute I inform Piggy that this pig is flying I assume my xxxxxxx@piggysurf.com will become defunct very quickly.

Yeah I've had similar experiences, I haven't set up my email address with them yet, hope to do so next week.

Back