Who regulates the postal districts and ensures that developers / estate agents don't mislead the public ?

was your voting address, as given to you by the government.

For many people, their 'voting address' is just the address their parents are registered at or one assigned by an administrator for their local electoral division that enters their details. I'm not aware of any validation on the address you can select when applying to be included on the register.

Postal routes can and do change over time, postal addresses are generally fixed,

Have you (or has anyone else here) ever submitted a complaint to the ASAI ?

I haven't, life's just too short. I tend to be cynical of most advertisers' claims, so don't get upset when I see something I believe is wrong. You can search a database of complaints & outcomes on their site, but the search facility is crap.

I'm not aware of any validation on the address you can select when applying to be included on the register.

The people behind eircode and the Department for Communications appeared at an Oireachtas committee a few years ago. They were scrupulously clear that geographical addresses are generated by custom and practice. There is no state body in charge of validation and there is no canonical register. There are lots of grey areas where people dispute which townland or part of the city they are in.

The geodirectory is simply an index of delivery points with address fields that may or may not correspond to how people describe their own address. Eircodes are simply a public look-up tag for the geodirectory.

Quite common for developers to use baronies, civil parishes,electoral divisions, town-lands and even sub-town-lands to name an area. Often name and divisions that have long fallen out of use and pre-date modern physical boundaries like canals etc.

Never trust a developer/agent on anything. Do your own research on the area.

Probably a bad example. The Eircode is D3.
Geo directory is Howth Road, Dublin 3

Dublin 3 seems to extend quite a bit along the Howth Road!

Okay, fair point, but it sure as hell isn't Clontarf ... and in my view, it's being advertised as Clontarf to push up the prices while misleading the public :)

Back