Who pays for damage caused by roofer?

B

Beeton

Hi,

apologies in advance for the long post...

I am in the process of getting the flat roof at the rear of my house replaced and a couple of skylights installed. A guy from the roofing company (not the owner) called out a couple of times before the work started to price the job and a price of E3,500 was agreed for the work if I provided the skylights, which I did.

The man that came out to give the quote started work on Monday (with a couple of other guys) and was due to finish on Wednesday. On Tuesday evening I came home to find a note saying 'pipe burst in roof, no water at all, plumber coming in morning'. I called the roofer for an explanation and he said that he had accidentially sawed through the pipe carrying water into the rear of the property, however, the type of pipe that had been used was 'old-fashioned and a DIY job' and so they had to get a plumber out to fix it and had had to cut off the water supply in the meantime. Fortunately we are having a mild December because the lack of water meant no heating as well as no bathroom!

On Wednesday I went to work but at lunchtime I got a message from the owner of the company advising me that because of all the 'extra work' they were going to add E1000 to the bill. When I asked him to explain what the extra work was he said that it had cost E540 for a plumber and they had had to push other jobs back because of the delays and that he had 'quoted me too cheaply in the first place'. I obviously explained that the pipe hadn't burst it was cut but he was insistent that the pipe was a 'DIY job' and was 'illegal'. I explained that the pipe had been fully functional and adequate for last 30 years (extension was built in early 70's) but his response was to threaten to take the guys off the job unless I agreed to pay it. As there were two holes in my roof and rain was imminent I said that of course I didn't want him to stop the work but that I would talk to him again about the extra cost.

The work will be finished tomorrow and the owner of the company is going to be looking for his money. Am I wrong to tell him to take a hike for the extra E1000?

Am I wrong to tell him to take a hike for the extra E1000?
They caused damage to your house, leaving you without heat and water for a night, they finished the job late (as a result of their damage).... and they want €1000 extra for this?

Personally I don't see the logic and would certainly refuse to pay.

When I asked him to explain what the extra work was he said that it had cost E540 for a plumber and they had had to push other jobs back because of the delays and that he had 'quoted me too cheaply in the first place'

Is he for real....he quoted you too cheaply & wants to charge you for damaging your property? If anything you should be looking for a discount for the hassle & damagae he has caused to your place.

Cowboys - that's who you're dealing with by the sounds of things. Tell him to finsh the job and invoice you, pay the agreed amount and let him take further action for the remainder of the job if he wishes.

Take a few pictures of the damaged pipe if you can.

Back